When would you need a temporary registration?
You can get a temporary vehicle registration if you need to get a safety inspection and/or emissions test but do not yet have your permanent registration.
Learn more about the safety inspections performed by the DMV.
Temporary registrations are available for the following vehicle class types: Passenger, commercial, combination, camper, camp trailer, and motorcycle.
Getting your temporary registration
What to do:
- Make an appointment at a DMV office and provide the required documents listed below.
- Obtain your temporary registration.
What to bring:
If the vehicle is not previously registered in your name:
If the vehicle is previously registered in your name:
Temporary registration fees:
- $21 for every 10 days
- $27 for 10 days for commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 6000 pounds or less
- $49 for 10 day for commercial vehicles with a GVWR more than 6,000 pounds
Sales tax will be collected for newly purchased vehicles:
- 6.35 percent for vehicles purchased at $50,000 or less
- 7.75 percent for vehicles purchased at over $50,000