The International Registration Plan was developed in the 1960s and 70s to meet the needs of expanding interstate and international commerce.
Commercial vehicles inside Connecticut
As a member state, Connecticut requires all commercial vehicles to apply for the IRP, or to get a special permit, if:
- Your vehicle travels to another IRP jurisdiction (U.S. states and Canadian provinces); and
- Your vehicle has a gross weight or combined gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds or three or more axles combined.
Commercial vehicles from outside Connecticut
Qualified motor vehicles from another IRP jurisdiction need a valid cab card (registration certificate) or a valid trip permit prior to entering Connecticut.
Exempt commercial vehicles
Vehicles that are exempt from IRP include:
- Government-owned vehicles
- Vehicles displaying a restricted plate, such as:
- antique (classic)
- City pick-up and delivery vehicles
- Recreational vehicles
Tips for filling out forms
For all forms
- Use blue or black ink to complete all original preprinted IRP renewal materials
IRP renewal schedule B
- Do not cross out any pre-printed text
- Review/verify all pre-printed text
- Enter a "C" in red ink near every change/correction
- Add new information in red ink near every change/correction
- Enter ZIP code + 4 for faster mail delivery
- Enter fleet miles to the exact mile for each jurisdiction your vehicle(s) traveled during the 12-month reporting period. It must include:
- Actual fleet miles for Connecticut
- All miles traveled by vehicles added to an IRP account, in Connecticut, including intrastate, and under 72-hour IRP trip permits and 45-day temporary registrations
DOT and FEIN
- Review each USDOT number and each Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
Acord certificate of insurance
The following are required:
- Policy number
- Business address (May have a P.O. BOX if listed with Secretary of State and Federal DOT)
- Vehicle year, make and VIN
- Effective and expiration dates
- Amount of insurance liability (there is a $750,000 minimum requirement)
- IRP unit listed as a certificate holder:
- CT DMV IRP, 60 State Street Room 102A, Wethersfield, CT 06161-1010
- Description of operations/locations/vehicles must include—if leased-on to a motor carrier—vehicle information
- Proof—if leased-on to a motor carrier—of bobtail or non-trucking liability insurance
Address, phone number & hours of operation
Address & phone number
60 State Street, Room 102
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Thursday: 9:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
New applicants may drop off forms for review and make payment by mail in or drop off or by using the online portal at https://dmvirp.ct.gov/ctenterprise once you have received an invoice.
The DMV's IRP Unit will take appointments for only the following transactions:
- Add/delete a vehicle
- Change carrier
- Weight increase
Please call the IRP unit at 860-263-5281 to schedule an appointment.