STEP 1: Determine if you are eligible
- A valid Connecticut driver’s license is required. “S", "V", "A” applicants need at least 3 years of consecutive driving experience when applying for endorsement.
- Be at least 18 years of age or 21 if the vehicle you will be driving is a commercial motor vehicle. (If driving a commercial motor vehicle you must have a commercial driver's license (CDL). Please see CDL testing requirements).
- Have acceptable driving record.
- Possess good moral character.
- Pass a criminal record background check.
- Must be subject to medical review and meet the physical requirements outlined on the medical examination form as required per 49 CFR 391.41-391.49.
STEP 2: Complete the following documentation
- Application for Public Passenger Endorsement (R-7).
- Medical Exam Form (MCSA-5876): This form must be completed by an authorized medical examiner and must be dated within the last 90 days. This form must be submitted online to https://cdlmedcert.ct.gov/
- A sex offender check through the national sex offender database. Website address: (If there are AKA's (other names used), all names must be run). The check submitted must have a date stamp from the printer it is printed from and must be within (5) days of the date of application.
- FBI & Non-Criminal Justice Privacy Statements Signed (both are required)
- Connecticut resident less than 5 years: Must present a CERTIFIED driving and criminal history from each state you have lived in the past five (5) years. (AZ, CA, MS, NC, TN and VT are CLOSED record states and will only be required to submit a certified driving history. Find your state and phone number to call here.
- S, V and A applicants only: Complete the Authorization for DCF CPS Background Check (form DCF-3031) and submit with all other documents directly to DMV.
STEP 3: Submit Application
- Mail or drop-off all completed documents (R-7 form, MCSA-5876, sex offender check, FBI & Non-Criminal Justice Privacy forms signed and dated, a copy of Connecticut driver's license, DCF 3031 (S, V & A applicants) and, if applicable, certified driving and criminal histories) to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Attention: Public Passenger Endorsement Review Unit
- Drop off to:
Applications can be dropped off at the DMV Office in Wethersfield (same as mailing address). The office is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Thursday from 9:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. There is a drop box near the main entrance. Applications will not be accepted at other DMV offices.
STEP 4: Fingerprinting
All applicants need to be fingerprinted for a criminal background check.
Upon receipt of application R7 and supporting documents, including both signed privacy statements, you will receive an email with a service code to pre-enroll for fingerprinting online using the link below. There will be a processing fee of $88.25 payable by credit card at that time.
To pre-enroll for fingerprinting for the criminal background check, please use this link:
The following link will provide a list of locations and phones numbers for live scan printing. Please call the location prior to your visit as hours and schedules may vary.
All prints will be submitted electronically (live scan) or hard copies with ink must be mailed with your Applicant Tracking Number directly to:
1111 Country Club Rd.
Middletown, CT 06437