Registering a leased vehicle
Registering a leased vehicle is available by appointment only at a DMV branch or hub office (similar to registering a new or used vehicle).
Most requirements are the same, but there are several differences for registering leased vehicles, which are outlined below:
- The leasing company must have a leasing license on file with the DMV. Please verify the license and address of the leasing company before presenting the vehicle for registration. Check this webpage to search for a business license.
- The Connecticut Insurance Identification Card may be in the name of the leasing company or the name of the lessee for registration purposes.
- Note: If this vehicle will be used at any time for a driver test, the insurance card must be in the name of the leasing company.
- An original Power of Attorney document (fax copies are not acceptable) is required that specifies who is authorized to sign documents for the leasing company. The lessee is usually listed as the power of attorney.
- The name and address of the applicant on the application for registration and title (Form H-13B) must be that of the leasing company. The person who has Power of Attorney also sign the application.