Report commercial vehicle insurance coverage
If you are a motor carrier and conduct commercial business with motor vehicles that meet any of the following criteria, you are required to report insurance coverage to DMV once a year:
- A vehicle that operates in intrastate commerce (within Connecticut only) with a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross truck/trailer weight or gross combination weight rating of 18,001 pounds or more.
- A vehicle that operates in interstate commerce with a gross vehicle weight, or GVWR or gross truck/trailer combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more.
- A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver.
- A vehicle used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring HAZMAT “placarding” under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act.
- If the first four choices do not apply to you, you must complete and submit a form (Affidavit) to DMV for new registration transactions or renewals.