Service update:
DMV's Winsted office will be closed on Saturday, September 30, 2023, due to flooding. Customers with appointments today will be emailed additional information. 

Replace your license plates

Request replacement plates if yours have been damaged, lost, or stolen

Replace your license plates

Request replacement plates if yours have been damaged, lost, or stolen
Replace your damaged plates

If your registration is current, you can replace your damaged plate(s) online. To complete your individual request online, you’ll need to have the following:

  • Your first and last name exactly as it appears on your current driver's license
  • Your date of birth
  • Your driver’s license number
  • Plate class (e.g., passenger, combination, commercial, etc.) 
  • A credit or debit card
Request replacement(s):

Replace individual damaged plates
Replace organization damaged plates


As an organization, if the DMV does not have your Secretary of State number on file, you must first contact us to have this added to your organization customer record prior to conducting an online transaction.


Replace your lost or stolen license plates
If your plates have been lost or stolen, you’ll need to notify your local police department and get a police report.


Vanity plate information

Applications to have a plate re-made are accepted 10 months from the date reported lost or stolen. However, that same plate can be released, if requested, to the general public one year after the date reported.


Here’s what to do next:


Step 1: Gather what you’ll need

  • Complete the lost or stolen marker plate notice (Form E-159)
  • Police report
  • Registration certificate 
  • Connecticut Insurance Identification Card, provided by your insurance carrier
  • Remaining plate (if any)
  • Form of payment

Step 2: Make an appointment


Step 3: Get your replacement plates
Two off-the-shelf plates will be issued to you during your appointment.

Fees to replace your lost or stolen plate:
  • $5 with a police report
  • $25 without a police report 

The police report needs to indicate the plate was stolen. Case numbers aren’t accepted in lieu of the police report.

Want to avoid a visit to DMV?
Individuals can request a replacement for damaged plates online.