In-transit registrations

For non-residents

In-transit registrations

For non-residents

What is an in-transit registration?

The in-transit registration is a special-use registration used only for vehicles that are purchased in the state of Connecticut by an out-of-state resident and will be driven to different state for registration.

This can be used for vehicles purchased from either a dealership or a private party (this includes trailers, homemade trailers, etc.)

Please note
An in-transit registration will not be accepted for vehicle inspection at any Connecticut DMV and can’t be renewed or transferred. The registration expires 30 calendar days from the issue date.

How do I get an in-transit registration?

You can get an in-transit registration at any DMV hub or branch office.


Process & requirements

  • Properly assigned certificate of origin or title, bill of sale (Form H-31), or Supplemental Assignment of Ownership and/or Bill of Sale (Form Q-1), if applicable. The purchaser's out-of-state address is required on the ownership assignment. A Federal Odometer statement is also required if the vehicle was purchased from a licensed dealer or repairer. 
  • A current insurance identification card, which can be gotten from your insurance company. The insurance card must be in the name of the registered owner (purchaser) of vehicle. If the vehicle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee.
  • An out-of-state insurance card or declaration page will be accepted if it meets or exceeds CT minimum liability insurance limits and lists the vehicle being registered. States that do not meet CT minimum limits are:
    • Arizona
    • California
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Nevada
    • New Jersey
    • Ohio
    • Pennsylvania
    • South Carolina
    • Louisiana
    • Massachusetts

For these states, the declaration page of the insurance policy would be required to verify insurance coverage amounts. (Connecticut's minimum mandatory insurance limits are $25,000 personal injury per person, $50,000 personal injury per accident, and $25,000 property damage.)

  • Complete an Application for Registration and Title (Form H-13B).  (Please note, the out-of-state address is required).
  • Out-of-state driver's license (address must agree with address on application).
  • Fee of $21

Once the in-transit registration has been issued, all supporting documents will be returned to you for registration in your home state.