- Identification - see acceptable forms of ID.
- Proof of insurance. Your current insurance must meet Connecticut’s minimum insurance requirements.
- Completed application for registration and title (Form H-13B).
- Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR). This will be provided by the technician at the time of your vehicle’s emissions test or VIN verification.
- Payment for fees. Review estimated registration fee information and acceptable forms of payment.
- Proof of ownership. An original title is required, and a leased vehicle requires an original power of attorney from the leasing company. If you have a lien or are leasing a vehicle, you must contact your lienholder or leasing company to notify them that Connecticut requires the original vehicle title to register a vehicle. Please use this DMV-provided form to notify the lienholder or leasing company and ask them to mail the title to the DMV.
- Mail to:
State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Record Updates
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
After you’ve received a confirmation of receipt of your title documents, please allow five business days for the vehicle to be processed into the system before visiting a DMV office.
If the original title is not available, you can request courtesy registration, good for six months, to give your lienholder or leasing company time to mail your original title to the Connecticut DMV. This applies only when there’s a lienholder holding the original title.