DMV identification requirements for vehicle registration

Find out what forms of identification are needed and accepted when registering your vehicle in CT

DMV identification requirements for vehicle registration

Find out what forms of identification are needed and accepted when registering your vehicle in CT

DMV ID requirements for vehicle registration

When registering a vehicle in Connecticut, there are different identification requirements based on the categories below.

Learn more about registering a new vehicle

  • Connecticut residents
  • Out-of-state residents / U.S. military
  • People without any required forms of identification
  • Dealership transactions
  • Businesses / Company names
  • Leased vehicles

Connecticut residents

A Connecticut resident must present one of the following valid forms of ID when registering a vehicle:

  • Connecticut driver's license 

  • Connecticut drive-only license 

  • Connecticut drive-only learner's permit 

  • Connecticut learner's permit 

  • Connecticut non-driver ID card 

  • Out of state license with photo 

  • Out of state identification card with photo 

  • Canadian or U.S. territory license – international driving permit (IDP) is not required 

  • U.S. passport or U.S. passport card 

  • Military ID card (active or dependent) 

  • Tribal Identification Card from a federally recognized tribe (with photo)

Note: If a registrant is unable to appear in person, the Special Power of Attorney Form (Form A-83) and photocopies of that person's identification are acceptable. 

Out-of-state residents / U.S. military

If you’re a resident of another state outside of Connecticut with a valid out-of-state (or Canadian) license or ID card with photo, or if you possess a U.S. military ID (either active-duty or a military dependent), these documents can be used for identification when the vehicle will be kept in Connecticut. These documents will also verify that you're not a Connecticut resident and have residency elsewhere.

People without any required forms of identification

If you don’t have any of the required forms of identification, you can request an administrative review to determine eligibility to register a vehicle.

Complete and submit a Request for Administrative Review (Form B-360). Note that this review process may take up to 30 days.

The review process:

  • Determines whether you’re a Connecticut resident and subject to state law regarding residency for registration requirements

  • Determines a need to register the vehicle in Connecticut

  • Determines who will operate the vehicle and that they are properly licensed


Dealership transactions

When a vehicle has been sold by a licensed dealer who is processing the registration and title documents for the purchaser, no Power of Attorney will be required. The dealership representative must present their identification.

Businesses / Company names

Power of Attorney requirements
If the registration is in the name of a corporation, incorporated business, or LLC, a Power of Attorney (Form A-83) is required, unless the person signing is the officer of the company or manager/member of the LLC. The person’s title must be printed after the signature, (e.g., John Doe, Vice President). Proof of insurance in the name of the business must be presented at the time of registration.
Articles of Organization requirements
Verification that the company has filed Articles of Organization with the Secretary of the State (SOS) office showing the manager/member's home and business address. A printed copy of verification from the SOTS website or a copy of the Articles of Organization are acceptable. Verification may also be in the form of a copy of income tax filing (IRS Form 1099). The company name on the registration must be the same as filed with the SOS or appears on the IRS Form 1099.
Identification requirements
A driver’s license or non-driver ID (issued by any state) of the manager/member of the LLC, as listed with the SOS or IRS Form 1099, is required. This applicant must also be the person signing the Application for Registration and Title (Form H-13B). If an out-of-state address is listed, they’re required to show the appropriate out-of-state license or ID.

Leased vehicles

The name on the vehicle registration must match the name on the leasing license. Identification of the lessee is not required. However, a general Power of Attorney form or the DMV’s special Power of Attorney (Form A-83) from the leasing company to the lessee is required.
Note: Individuals or companies using a titling service must submit a Power of Attorney and identification.
Learn more about registering a leased Connecticut or out-of-state vehicle