➤ Learner’s Permit Knowledge Testing is being done by appointment only at the DMV’s Cheshire (Wednesday – Friday) and Wethersfield (Tuesday – Friday) locations. All appointments will be confirmed or canceled by email. Be sure to check your email prior to heading to the DMV.

➤ For the health and safety of the public as well as our employees, some services including road tests are postponed until further notice.

➤ Extensions provided for renewals of driver’s licenses, non-driver ID cards, vehicle registrations, emissions testing and other credentials, expiring between March 10 and June 30. For details, visit

➤ Vehicle and boat registration drop-off services are available at DMV’s Enfield, Old Saybrook and Waterbury locations. Learn More

➤ Many DMV services remain available online, by phone and through the mail. For details, visit

The DMV’s staff is working diligently to reduce its backlog and to provide critical services to essential businesses. Transactions are being completed as quickly as possible, in the order in which they are received. The average turnaround time is approximately 20 business days. The DMV appreciates the public’s patience as it navigates through the COVID-19 pandemic.

Operating Without Dealer or Repairer License

It is illegal to engage in the business of repairing or selling motor vehicles to consumers in Connecticut without a Connecticut Dealer License. No out-of-state dealer license is legal for the repair or sale of motor vehicles to consumers within Connecticut.
Anyone found selling or repairing motor vehicles in Connecticut without a Connecticut Dealer License is committing a class B misdemeanor and is subject to arrest. Also, no one may operate a "motor vehicle recycler's yard" (aka junkyard) without a Connecticut Recycler's License.  Violation is a class C misdemeanor.

If you are aware of someone operating an unlicensed dealer, repairer or recycler business, you may send a detailed, written complaint to:   
Department of Motor Vehicles
Dealer Enforcement Unit, Room 145
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

You should also send a copy to the local zoning authority and police department of the town in which the business is located.
Complaints against active licensed dealers and repairers should be sent in writing to the DMV's Consumer Complaint Center.