DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

 Requirements for Registration and Titling of Boats

Special Notice to Boat Owners

Effective January 1, 2016, Connecticut began titling boats and other vessels starting with the model year 2017. This will apply to every model year afterwards. For a list of vessels exempt from title requirements, please download this document.
Renewing Boat Registrations

See instructions here for renewing a boat registration.

Prior to registering your boat, please read DMV's notice to all vessel owners.  Read the notice here.

Replace a Registration

See instructions here for replacing a boat registration.

New Boat Registrations

Federal law requires a hull number on all vessels manufactured in 1973 or later. The hull number must be given on the application. If the vessel has a "CT" number (previous Connecticut number), that number stays with the vessel and must be entered on the application.

If a vessel has a US documented number or a Foreign Documented number then that vessel is not eligible to obtain a CT Title. You will receive a CT vessel registration using your documented numbers.

Vessels eligible for titles are vessels with a model year of 2017 and newer, or vessels that were previously documented either US or Foreign.  Documentation from the Coast Guard is required to show that the Vessel was and is no longer documented.

Please make an appointment at a DMV office and provide the following documents:

AApplication for Vessel Registration and Certificate of Number or Decal (Form B-148)

B.MCO/Out of state title/or previously documented paperwork from the U.S Coast Guard or Foreign Entity.

C. If the state that the vessel is currently registered in, and your vessel is 2017 model year or newer, you must have the following:

1. Current out-of-state registration
2. Print out from that state declaring that they do not title vessels.

D. Bill of Sale/ Q1V  (Download and complete the DMV Bill of Sale form, or the following information is required):

1. Description of vessel
2. Previous number and state
3. Seller's name and address
4. Purchaser's name and address
5. Date of sale
6. Amount paid

  • If the seller is not the last registered owner, each Supplemental Assignment of Ownership and/or Bill of Sale (form Q1V) must be submitted for each ownership transfer back to the last registered owner. This form is only available at a DMV office.
  • The seller's signature on the B-148 form is optional if the seller has signed a bill of sale. 
  • A letter of explanation if the boat was never registered, as well as a completed Ownership Affidavit (form B-203).

E. Proof of Payment of Sales and Use Tax or Tax Exemption. (Connecticut Sales/Use Tax is 6.35%)

Change in Sales Tax: Vessels and trailers used for transporting a vessel purchased on or after July 1, 2018, will be charged a sales tax rate of 2.99 percent.  Vessels and trailers used for transporting a vessel with a purchase date before July 1, 2018, will be charged the current sales tax rate of 6.35 percent. 

1. Complete all applicable information in the "Tax Exemption" section of the B-148 form (Application for Vessel Registration).

2. Vessels purchased from a dealer:
A. Invoice must be submitted showing the amount paid and the amount of sales tax collected by the dealer.
B. If purchased from an out-of-state dealer, credit of sales tax paid is allowed (total tax must equal 6.35% Connecticut Sales Tax).  Receipt must be shown.

3. Vessels purchased from an individual:
A bill of sale signed by the seller must be submitted showing the amount paid.  6.35% Connecticut Sales Tax is paid at the time of registration and is based on the purchase price.

F. Certificate of Decal (not eligible for a Connecticut title)

You do not have to be a Connecticut resident to register your vessel in Connecticut. If the vessel is being used in Connecticut waters for more than 60 days, you must apply for a certificate of decal. (You must provide valid identification).

If your vessel is documented:  Copy of document with the B-148 application.  Document must be current and issued in the name of the applicant.

If your vessel is registered out of state: Current copy of the out-of-state registration must be submitted with the B-148 application.

G. Identification

1. State-issued Driver's License or Identification card.

2. If non-U.S. resident, a foreign driver's license accompanied by an International Driving Permit if the license is not in English or Spanish.

Any individuals requesting a new vessel transaction at the DMV is required to be present at the branch office to process their transaction.

If one party is named on the vessel application (B-148 form) and cannot be present then a Power of Attorney (A-83) is required and notarized. (Identification required for person listed on POA). A copy of the identification for all registrants listed on the application is required.

If two parties are named on the vessel application (B-148 form) either party may be present to process the registration. A copy of the identification for all registrants listed on the application is required.

For Additional Information on Boating
For additional information on boating including operator certification, safety, launches and other more, please visit the boating section of the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection website.