DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

International Registration Plan (IRP)
Additional Information/Services

Find additional information on IRP-related services by selecting the topic below:
Special Trip Permits

If you do not have Apportioned plates, but need to cross the Connecticut border with either a multi-axled vehicle or a vehicle (or combination) over 26,000 pounds, you must obtain a Trip Permit for any jurisdiction you travel in. Call the IRP Section 860-263-5281 for the most current telephone numbers of commercial wire services that issue TRIP PERMITS by phone for payment by credit card.

HAZ-MAT Permits

If you transport waste oil, petroleum and chemical liquids, hazardous waste, or biomedical waste, you may need a special permit (Waste Transporter Permit) from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), Bureau of Waste Management.  Please visit the state DEEP website for more information.

Oversize/Overweight Permits
If you operate at a weight beyond statutory limits for the number of axles and distance between axles, or if you operate a vehicle that is beyond dimensional (size) limits, then you must obtain a special Oversize/Overweight Permit from the Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT).  Please visit the state DOT website for more information.   


International Fuel Tax Agreement 

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is a method for the payment distribution of fuel taxes to jurisdictions traveled in, as determined by the total distance traveled in each jurisdiction and total amount of taxable fuel purchased.  IFTA is administered by the state Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  Please visit the state DRS website for more information.

Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax

Vehicles registered at 55,000 lbs. and over must pay a special federal highway use tax to the IRS Trucking Tax Center by filing a form no. 2290 (IRS E-filing). DMV requires proof of payment (copy of IRS form no. 2290 receipted for payment by IRS listing the vehicle ID number for which tax was paid) to register or renew vehicles registered at 55,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight and above. You are required to file form no. 2290 with the IRS within 60 days of purchase.  Proof of such payment is required by DMV at each renewal.