DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

All Terrain Vehicles

Connecticut law requires that all-terrain vehicles (ATV) operated in Connecticut must be registered, unless the vehicle is being operated on property owned or leased by the owner of the ATV.

Please see our Expected Documents page to check for additional documents and fees.

Out of State Registered ATV’s - Certain out-of-state registered ATV’s may be operated in Connecticut if the state in which the ATV is registered grants similar privileges to residents of this state. Currently only Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania and Florida grant similar privileges. An ATV owner and resident of another state may register an ATV in Connecticut by presenting the following documents at a DMV Hub or Limited Service Office:

    Out-of-State registration
    Out-of-State Operator License(s), which must be the same name(s) as on the registration certificate. If registrant cannot appear in person a Power of Attorney and photocopies of the identification are acceptable.
    Application for Snowmobile or All-Terrain Vehicle Registration (form B-77, available at a DMV office.) completed by the owner.

    Vehicles cannot be registered if delinquent property tax or parking tickets are owed or if the registrant has had their registration privilege suspended.

    Registration/Display of Number

    The registration plate of the ATV must be affixed to the rear of the vehicle. In addition, each ATV must display the registration number on each side of its front section, midway between the top and bottom of the front section, in letters or numbers at least three inches high and made of reflective material. The registration must be carried on the ATV and be available for inspection whenever the vehicle is being operated. 

    Operation - A registered ATV cannot be operated on a public highway except, if the ATV is operated by a licensed motor vehicle operator; it may cross a public highway (other than limited-access highway) at a 90 degree angle, after the ATV is brought to a complete stop. The driver must yield the right of way to motor vehicles using the highway and must cross in the direction of the highway at a location where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing.

    Note: If the ATV is being registered to a minor (16 or 17 years old), parental consent and special financial responsibility insurance are also required. ATV’s cannot be registered to owners less than 16 years of age.

    Important Information - For additional information on ATV trails, policies, procedures, speed, and other requirements, please visit the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection website.