Language + Settings
You may renew your ID on your ID expiration date or as early as 180 days (six months) before your ID expires.
You cannot renew online if any of the following scenarios are true for you:
You did not get a new photo taken the last time you renewed your ID.
You are applying for a REAL ID license for the first time. To get a REAL ID, please apply in person.
- Your ID has been expired for more than 2 years. Please follow the procedure for obtaining a new ID card.
- You are living in a homeless shelter and wish to do a no fee renewal.
- You are a blind veteran and wish to do a no fee renewal.
- If your non-driver ID card is expired two or more years, follow the procedure for obtaining a new ID card.
If you cannot renew online, please renew in person or by mail instead.
Step 1: Gather what you’ll need
- Your first and last name exactly as it appears on your current non-driver ID
- Your date of birth
- Your street address
- Your non-driver ID number
- Your social security number
- A credit or debit card
Step 2: Renew online
Step 3: Get your ID in the mail
Your ID will arrive through the mail within 20 days. You can keep your expiring ID if there are no changes other than address. For more on this, please see Central Issuance.
The fee for your ID renewal is computer-generated as DMV phases in the 8-year license. Your renewal letter will indicate the length on your expiration.
- 6-year non-driver ID renewal: $24.00
- 8-year non-driver ID renewal: $32.00
No fee renewal
If you are a blind veteran or living in a homeless shelter, you can renew your ID for free in person or by mail. See more information about renewing in-person or by mail .