DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Requirements to Register Your Trailer (For Personal Use)

The documents you need to register a trailer will vary on whether 1) your title and/or registration is from Connecticut or a different state and 2) whether or not your trailer has a VIN.  This service is provided by appointment only at a DMV office.  Make an appointment here


Please carefully read the instructions below to be sure you have the correct documents prior to visiting a DMV office.


If you are new to Connecticut, you have 60 days to transfer your vehicle registration to this state once you have established residency.

Here are the steps to take:


Step 1: Check for outstanding issues
  • Prior to registering your vehicle, be sure you do not have any issues (such as property taxes or insurance lapses) that may stop you.  Check online here.  
Step 2Gather your documents
Documents required:
  • Identification.  You must present an acceptable form of identification to register your trailer. See full list of acceptable forms of identification.  
  • Completed registration application (Form H-13B).  Download and fill out this form before coming into the office.
  • Bill of sale. For vehicles recently purchased. You can use this form.  
  • Payment:  A trailer with new plates (and no lien) will cost $43.50. (There is an additional $10 fee for processing a vehicle with a lien). An additional title fee of $25 may apply, depending on the weight of the trailer. In addition, sales tax will be charged on recently purchased vehicles.  
  • Proof of ownership.  
    Previously registered in Connecticut:  If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 3,000 lbs. or less, proof of Connecticut registration is required.  A title (properly assigned) is required if GVWR is over 3,000 lbs. and newer than 20 years old.
    Previously registered outside Connecticut:  Connecticut requires the ownership document issued by the previous state.  See title requirements by state with contact information.   


Step 3: Supply Proof of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

No VIN on Trailer:  Locate the Vehicle Identification Number on your trailer.  If you cannot find a VIN, you must get a VIN assigned to your trailer at a DMV Inspection Lane.

Out-of-State Trailer with VIN:  If your trailer was previously registered out of state and has a VIN, visit an official VIN verification center.  This is required only for trailers with an out-of-state registration or title. The inspection fee will be $10.  Be sure to bring your inspection report to DMV when registering your vehicle.

Previously registered in Connecticut with VIN:  There is no further action required regarding the VIN.


Step 4: Make an Appointment at a DMV Office

If you are transferring your license and registration from out of state, you can perform both services with one appointment by selecting "Out-of-State Transfers" here. If you are only registering your trailer, please make a "Registration" appointment here.