New online services are now available: driver’s license/non-driver ID renewals, duplicate driver’s license/non-driver ID, and driving history requests. Return to our homepage.

Requirements to Register Your Motorcycle

The documents you need to register a vehicle will vary on whether 1) your title is from Connecticut or a different state, 2) your motorcycle has a lien, or 3) if your motorcycle is leased.

This service is offered by appointment only at a DMV office.  Make an appointment here


Please carefully read the instructions below to be sure you have the correct documents prior to visiting a DMV office.


If you are new to Connecticut, you have 60 days to transfer your motorcycle registration to this state once you have established residency. 


Scooters, mopeds and other motor-driven cycles:  For more information registration requirements, visit this webpage


Here are the steps to take to register a motorcycle:


Step 1: Check for outstanding issues


  • Prior to registering your motorcycle, be sure you do not have any issues (such as property taxes or insurance lapses) that may stop you. Check online here.  


Step 2: Gather your documents

Documents required:



Please notify the lien holder or leasing company using this letter and ask them to mail the title to the address below:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Record Updates
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161    


Upon confirmation of receipt of your title documents, please allow 5 business days for the vehicle to be processed into the system before visiting a branch office.

If the original title is not available, you can request a six-month registration (called a courtesy registration) to give your lienholder or leasing company time to mail your original title to Connecticut DMV. This applies only when there is a lien holder holding the original title. More information on how to apply for a courtesy registration.


Step 3: (Out-of-State Titled Motorcycles only) Bring it to a VIN Verification Center 


Visit an official VIN verification center to verify the motorcycle’s vehicle identification number prior to visiting DMV office.  This is required only for motorcycles with an out-of-state title. The fee will be $10. Be sure to bring your inspection report to DMV when registering your motorcycle.


Step 4: Make an Appointment at a DMV Office


If you are transferring your license and registration from out of state, you can perform both services with one appointment by selecting "Out-of-State Transfers" here. If you are only registering your motorcycle, please make a "Registration" appointment here.