Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Renewal
***EXTENSION OFFERED: DMV is offering extensions to Connecticut residents with expiring driver’s licenses, ID cards and learner’s permits. No late fees will be assessed for eligible credentials. See details here.
A renewal form will be mailed to you at your current address listed on your license file, please follow the instructions included with your renewal form. You are required by law to notify the DMV of any address changes within 48 hours.
Hazmat Endorsement renewals can only be processed at the DMV Bridgeport, Danbury, Hamden, Norwalk, Old Saybrook, Waterbury, Wethersfield and Willimantic offices.
To renew your CDL, you must make an appointment at a DMV office and provide the following:
- You may be required to provide additional identity documents at renewal time. See more information here.
- Your current CDL (If you do not have your current license, you must present two forms of acceptable identification from the list of acceptable forms of identification).
- You must have a current, legible, unexpired medical certificate completed by a Certified Medical Examiner on file with the DMV prior to renewal. Please upload your current card to Connecticut's Online Medical Certification System.
- Printed confirmation notice of self-certification with DMV. Applicants must self-certify through the DMV website and print confirmation notice.
- Renewal application form that you received in the mail (if available).
If your license is suspended here or in any other state, your license will not be renewed until your license privilege is restored.
- CDLs are renewed for a four-year period at a fee of $70.
- With a public passenger endorsement or restriction, the fee is $118.
NOTE: A $25 late fee will be charged for the renewal of an expired Commercial Driver's License.
Please see Acceptable Forms of Payment.