DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests. Facial coverings are not required to enter a DMV office.

Miscellaneous Frequently Asked Questions

What DMV services can be completed online?
Please see DMV's online services menu.

My handicap permit is broken/ lost/ stolen. How do I get a replacement?
Please provide us with your name, date of birth, current mailing address, and permit number (if possible). We will then mail you a replacement application.  Please see Replacement of a Permanent Disability Parking Permit

How do I change my address for license/registration?
Please see change of address.

How do I inform the DMV that I have a new insurance company?
It is not necessary to contact the DMV with this information. The DMV and the insurance industry exchange this information.

I received a letter from the Insurance Compliance Unit, and my registration and driver's license are suspended. I have a new insurance company. What should I do?
Please see our Requirements for Automobile Insurance page.

How do I get a non-driver identification card?
Please see Connecticut non-driver photo identification card.

How do I get specialized plates?
Please see our license plate service webpage.

What rights do I have as a consumer when I have purchased a used vehicle from a dealership?
Please see used car warranty.

What are the DMV’s office hours, and how do I get directions to a DMV office?
DMV offices operate by appointment only.  Please see Directions to Branch Offices.

When can I put studded snow tires (metal nonskid devices) on my vehicle, and when do they have to be removed?
They may be on your vehicle between November 15 and April 30.