Ignition Interlock Device Program
If you are suspended for any of the following offenses you will be required to install an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) before your driver's license can be reinstated in Connecticut:
- Failing or refusing a chemical alcohol test
- Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Vehicular manslaughter
- Vehicular assault
More information on license suspensions and other penalties can be found here.
What to Do
- Contact one of the Connecticut-approved IID vendors to schedule an appointment to have the IID installed. The vendor will notify DMV.
- Pay the $175.00 restoration fee and the $100.00 IID Administration fee. Fees may be paid by a check or money order made payable to DMV or you can pay the fees online.
You should install your IID and pay your fees to DMV at least 10 days prior to your eligibility date. If paying fees by mail, your fees should be submitted 20 days prior to your eligibility date.
Getting Your License Back
You may have other suspension matters in addition to the IID which must be resolved in order to be reinstated.
After you are restored, you must ensure that you have a current, valid driver license. If you were issued a Connecticut non-driver photo ID card during the suspension, you may exchange the ID for your previously held Connecticut driver's license.
If you hold an out-of-state driver license or registration, you must verify with the issuing state that it is valid before operating a vehicle. If you are now a Connecticut resident, you must transfer your out of state license to Connecticut.
IID Requirement from Another State
If you have moved to Connecticut and you have an IID requirement from your previous home state, your requirements will carry over to Connecticut.
Prior to getting a Connecticut license, you must complete this process with DMV's Driver Services Division:
- Submit the terms of the other jurisdiction's IID restriction.
- Submit a certified copy of your driving history issued by the state that imposed the IID restriction. The history must be less than sixty (60) days old on the date it is submitted
- If your IID is currently installed by one of the Connecticut approved IID vendors, have the vendor submit the installation information to DMV. If the IID is installed by a non-approved vendor, contact one of the Connecticut-approved IID vendors to have a new IID installed.
- Pay the $100.00 IID Administration fee. Fees may be paid by a check or money order made payable to DMV and submitted with your IID application or you can pay the fees online.
Once your application has been approved, you must obtain a Connecticut driver's license and Connecticut vehicle registration within 30 days.
Your Responsibilities with an IID
- Your DMV record will indicate that an IID must be installed in each vehicle(s) owned or operated by you. Law enforcement officials will have access to this information.
- You must bring each vehicle to the installer every 25-30 days for calibration. Failure to do so will result in the suspension of your driver’s license for failure to comply with the terms of the IID program.
- Anyone convicted of tampering with an IID, requesting someone else to blow into the IID, driving a vehicle without an IID, or who removed the IID without authorization will have their driver's license suspended.
- See additional violations and penalties for failure to comply with the terms of the IID program.
|Sensolock of America||1-800-219-9936||www.sensolock.com|
|Alcohol Detection Systems||1-855-450-0061||www.ADSinterlock.com|
|Draeger US Interlock||1-800-332-6858||www.draegerinterlock.com|
|Low Cost Interlock||1-844-276-0548||www.lowcostinterlock.com|
Participants in the IID program must pay all costs related to the installation and maintenance of the IID directly to the vendor. Costs are determined by the independent vendors and not the DMV.
For More Information
For information concerning license reinstatement or IID requirements, contact the DMV's Driver Services Division:
Department of Motor Vehicle
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-1013