Beginning October 1, 2020, the U.S. Federal Government will require anyone boarding an airplane for domestic travel or entering certain federal buildings to have a "verified" driver's license, state-issued ID card or be required to show additional proof of identification, such as a passport. This verification is indicated on your license or ID card by a gold star in the top right corner. This federal law is commonly referred to as "REAL ID."
You NEED a REAL ID if:
- You do not have a valid U.S. passport or passport card; AND
- You use airplanes as a mode of domestic transportation; or
- You visit military bases; or
- You visit secure federal facilities.
You DO NOT NEED a REAL ID if:
- You have a valid U.S. passport or passport card;
- You do not use airplanes as a mode of domestic transportation;
- You do not visit military bases;
- You do not visit secure federal facilities.
Check Your License or ID Card
A gold star on your license or ID card indicates you already have a verified ID. The graphic above shows how to find the star. A verification process is a one-time check, therefore if you have the gold star you are all set and meet federal standards. In October 2011, the Connecticut DMV started offering this identity verification check for customers renewing their license or ID card and for new, first-time applicants. Therefore, many Connecticut residents already have a REAL ID-compliant license or ID card.
You Can Also Use Your Passport!
If you already have a Connecticut license or ID card, getting your identity verified through DMV is optional. The TSA will also accept other identity documents at the airport, such as a Passport. For more information visit the TSA Website at https://www.tsa.gov/travel.
Customers applying for a license or ID for the first time in Connecticut (for example new drivers or people moving here) are required to apply for a Real ID (if they qualify) at a full-service DMV office.
How to Get Your Real ID Verified License/ID Card
Step 1: Check Eligibility
Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for a verified license/ID card. Customers with a Drive Only license are not eligible for a Real ID license.
Step 2: Check the List
In most cases, you simply need your:
- U.S. Passport or U.S. birth certificate, and
- Social Security card, and
- Two (2) pieces of mail (from 2 different sources dated within 90 days) to prove you live in Connecticut.
Step 3: Get your REAL ID
If you are not due for renewal, you can convert your license or ID for a $30 duplicate fee.