Transfer Vehicle from
One Immediate Family Member to Another
If you are registering a vehicle that was previously registered and titled to an immediate family member (mother, father, wife, husband, civil union partner, daughter, son, sister, brother), you must proceed to your local DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office and provide the following:
- Connecticut Certificate of Title showing assignment of ownership and indicating release of all liens (if any). A title is not required on vehicles with a model year over 20 years prior to the current year. In this case, a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership form (Form Q-1) can be used. You would be designated as the purchaser, and your immediate family member designated as the seller.
- Provide the old registration certificate (if available).
- Provide a current Connecticut Insurance Card, in your name, for the vehicle.
- Completed Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B). Download the form, fill out online, and print to bring with you. You would be designated as the purchaser, and your immediate family member designated as the seller.
- Identification is required to register a vehicle. Please see list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.
A permission letter from the immediate family member is required to keep the same plates.
To find out if the vehicle you are buying is in compliance, check the date on-line or call (888) 828-8399. Please have Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) ready.