Transfer Vehicle from
One Immediate Family Member to Another
If you are registering a vehicle that was previously registered and titled to an immediate family member (mother, father, wife, husband, civil union partner, daughter, son, sister, brother), you must make an appointment at a DMV office and provide the following:
- Connecticut Certificate of Title showing assignment of ownership and indicating release of all liens (if any). A title is not required on vehicles with a model year over 20 years prior to the current year. In this case, a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership form (Form Q-1) can be used. You would be designated as the purchaser, and your immediate family member designated as the seller.
- Provide the old registration certificate (if available).
- Provide a current Connecticut Insurance Card, in your name, for the vehicle.
- Completed Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B). Download the form, fill out online, and print to bring with you. You would be designated as the purchaser, and your immediate family member designated as the seller.
- Identification is required to register a vehicle. Please see list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.
A permission letter from the immediate family member is required to keep the same plates.