DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Canceling a Vehicle Registration


Save Time, Cancel Your Plates Online Here


You must cancel your registration if you no longer have the vehicle or if you have moved out of state. 

Your vehicle will be subject to property tax assessment in the town of record until the registration is canceled.  Once the registration has been canceled, the vehicle will be removed from the next Grand List that is provided to the municipalities on October 1st each year. 

You can cancel a registration online or by mail to avoid visiting to a DMV office.  


Cancel Online
  • Visit the Registration Cancellation page.  Select the link in which your vehicle is registered under: Individual or Organization

  • Follow prompts.  For individuals, you will need the first and last name on the registration, date of birth, CT drivers or ID number, plate number and class.

  • The last confirmation page is your plate receipt; you must print this plate receipt confirmation page if you would like to keep a copy for your records. ***IMPORTANT NOTICE - Please keep this receipt and contact your local Assessor's Office, who will require a copy of this receipt and other information to adjust your tax bill.

  • If you need a copy of your registration cancelation receipt, you can use DMV's online service to print out a copy of the cancelation status.  Select this link to find your cancelation status

Cancel by Mail

Download and print the marker plate notice form (Form E-159).  Complete the form and mail to:

Registry Record Section
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-5057

A receipt will be mailed to the address that is on file with DMV. If you have moved out of state you must enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for the receipt to be mailed to you.

Note:  If you received a property tax bill on a vehicle that you sold and need proof of sale, you will need to fill out a Copy Records Request (form J-23T). On the form, please request the "bill of sale" and follow instructions on how to order. ***