Requirements to Transfer Your
Out of State Registered Vehicle
Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 60 days to transfer your vehicle registration to this state. This service is provided at DMV by appointment only.
Here are the steps to take:
Step 1: Emissions test or VIN check needed for your vehicle.
If vehicle is model year 2017 and older then vehicle needs to have an emissions test done. Vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing will require a vehicle identification number (VIN) verification. You can use your current registration to meet this requirement.
**VIN checks: Due to emissions system outage, DMV at this time will also accept the handwritten VIN verification form AE-81 issued from an emissions station/inspection lane for the VIN verification requirement.
Step 2: Gather your documents prior to making an appointment at a DMV office.
- Identification. If you are transferring your out-of-state driver’s license to Connecticut, you can do that when registering your vehicle.
- Proof of insurance. Your insurance card must include this information.
- Completed registration form (H-13B). Download and fill out this form before coming into the office.
- Vehicle inspection report. This will be provided by the technician at the time of your vehicle’s emissions test or VIN verification.
**Due to emissions system outage, DMV at this time will also accept the handwritten VIN verification form AE-81 issued from an emissions station/inspection lane for the VIN verification requirement.
- Payment for fees. See estimated fee information here.
- Proof of ownership. An original title is required, and a leased vehicle requires an original power of attorney from the leasing company. If you have a lien or are leasing a vehicle, you must contact your lienholder or leasing company to notify them that Connecticut requires the original vehicle title to register a vehicle. Please notify the lien holder or leasing company using this form and ask them to mail the title to the address below:
State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Record Updates
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Upon confirmation of receipt of your title documents, please allow 5 business days for the vehicle to be processed into the system before visiting a branch office.
If the original title is not available, you can request a six-month registration (called a courtesy registration) to give your lienholder or leasing company time to mail your original title to Connecticut DMV. This applies only when there is a lien holder holding the original title. More information on how to apply for a courtesy registration.
Step 3: Make an appointment at a DMV office. Make an appointment here.
If you are transferring your license and registration, you must visit can choose an appointment type for both services.