DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Requirements for Military Personnel
Registering a Vehicle in Connecticut

Any Connecticut resident at the time of induction currently serving active military duty that has purchased a vehicle may register and title that vehicle in their home state of Connecticut.

Please select the topic below that applies to your situation.  Please complete the required documents and mail them to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customized Services Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-5049

See more information on:

New or Used Vehicles:

  • Provide your current Connecticut Insurance Identification Card. The insurance card must be in the name of registered owner(s) of vehicle. If vehicle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee.
  • Completed Application for Registration and Title (Form H-13B).
  • The original Certificate of Origin or Previous Title properly assigned on the back to you by the selling dealer or seller
  • Federal Odometer Statement if purchased through a dealer.
  • Vehicle ID Number Verification (Form AE-81) completed by an inspection authority as listed on the AE-81 form, and an Administrative Fee of $10. If the vehicle is located in CT you will be required to bring the vehicle to an emissions testing facility for testing prior to registration, unless it is an emissions exempt vehicle.  

Registration of a Used Vehicle Previously Registered in Connecticut:

Waiver of Registration Fees

Connecticut General Statutes [14-50(c) and 27-102a – We are to waive any operator’s license or registration fee, including any renewal fee in the case of any person in the active service of the armed forces of the United States who was a legal resident of Connecticut at the time of his induction and also within two years following the date of separation.

In order to qualify, you must have been a Connecticut resident at time of induction including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard (cadets and midshipmen). National Guard members and Reservists are eligible if they have been called to active duty for any length of time and show their active duty orders. Active Duty military members must show their current military id cards, or if discharged you must show DD214 form showing honorable discharge. National Guard and Reservists must show their active duty orders to qualify for the fee waiver.  

To obtain a waiver of the registration fee, you must complete the Application for Waiver of Registration Fee for Someone in the Military (Form B-276) and if applicable a copy of DD214 with each registration transaction.

Fees that are waived include: New and renewal registration fees, temporary plate fee, safety plate fee, clean air act fee.

Fees that are not waived include: Title and lien fees, vehicle or record transfer fees, duplicate registration, sub reg fees (replace lost or stolen plate), special plate fees, sales tax, or other fees mentioned in this document.

Late fees for registration renewal and emission testing may be waived if the registration is renewed or vehicle is emission tested within 60 days of the date the military member is discharged from the service. Discharge form DD214 must be presented.

Registration Renewal

An invitation to renew your registration will automatically be mailed within 60 days prior to your expiration date.  Please read and follow the instructions that are included on the invitation.

Mail the invitation and required waiver (B-276), in the return envelope provided. If the envelope is missing, mail your renewal to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 150456
Hartford CT 06115-0456