Vehicle Registration Renewals
How to Renew Online
Please be ready to provide the following information during the online vehicle renewal service:
- A Personal Identification Number (PIN), or
- First and Last Names as it appears on your license or ID card
- CT Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID Number
- Date of Birth
- If you’re an organization, you will need your Secretary of State number.
There are some vehicle types that cannot be renewed online due to additional paperwork needed.
Vehicles that are able to renew online are Passenger, Trucks, SUV’s, Van, Motorcycle, Camp Trailers, and most Commercial vehicles.
I want to renew and my vehicle is registered under:
We accept VISA, MasterCard, and Discover credit card, also debit cards with the VISA/MasterCard logo only.
You may renew online up to 30 days after the expiration of your registration. You will be assessed a $10.00 late fee 5 days after expiration.
- All transactions will be subject to compliance and fine check prior to renewal.
- You will be provided with a list of possible registration and vehicles eligible for renewal within the next 6 months.
- As an Organization, if the DMV does not have your Secretary of State number on file you must first contact the DMV to have this added to your organization customer record prior to conducting an online transaction.
Check and Resolve Any Compliance Issues (prior to renewing)
- You may check your compliance issues with our new online service.
- Property tax: Contact the (city/town) listed to settle your tax obligation.
- Parking Tickets: Contact the (city/town) listed to settle your parking ticket obligation.
- Emissions Due: The vehicle must be tested at an Official Connecticut Test Station prior to completing a registration renewal. Please refer to CT Emissions more information.
- Insurance Issues: Contact Insurance Compliance Unit at 860-263-5725
- Commercial Vehicle Safety (CVSD) Violation: Contact CVSD at 860-263-5446
- Registration Suspension: Contact Driver Services at 860-263-5720
Renewing by Mail
An invitation to renew your registration will be automatically mailed to you 45 days before the expiration date. You may renew by mail by mailing the bottom portion of your renewal notice. If you do not have return envelope, you may mail your payment to the following address:
Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 150456
Hartford, CT 06115-0456