DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Acceptable Forms of Identification Needed For Registering a Vehicle

Any individuals requesting a new registration transaction at the DMV is required to be present at the branch office to process their transaction. 

If one party is named on the registration application (form H-13B) then a Power of Attorney (A-83) is required and notarized. A copy of the identification for all registrants listed on the application is required.

If two parties are named on the registration application (form H-13B) either party may be present to process the registration. A copy of the identification for all registrants listed on the application is required.

See acceptable forms of identification for vehicle registration purposes for:

Connecticut Residents:

A Connecticut resident must present one of the following valid forms of ID:

  • Connecticut Driver's License
  • Connecticut Drive Only License
  • Connecticut Drive Only Learner's Permit
  • Connecticut Learner's Permit
  • Connecticut Non-Driver ID card
  • U.S. Passport
  • Tribal Identification Card from Federally Recognized Tribe (with photo)

Out-of-State Residents/Military:

If someone is an out-of-state resident with a valid out-of state (or Canadian) license or ID card with photo, or possesses a U.S. Military ID (either active or dependent), those documents can be used when the vehicle will be kept in Connecticut. This documentation is needed to verify that a person is not a Connecticut resident and has residency elsewhere.

No Identification - Special Review:
If someone does not have any of the required forms of identification, he or she can request an administrative review to determine eligibility to register a vehicle. You must complete and submit A Request for Administrative Review (form B-360). Review process may take up to 30 days. The review process:
  • Determines whether you are a Connecticut resident and subject to state law regarding residency for registration requirements.
  • Determines a need to register the vehicle in Connecticut.
  • Determines who will operate the vehicle and is properly licensed.

Dealer Transactions:
When a vehicle has been sold by a licensed dealer who is processing the registration and title documents for the purchaser, no POA will be required (the dealer representative must present his or her identification).

Business/Company Names:
If the registration is in the name of a corporation, incorporated business, or LLC, a Power of Attorney is required, unless the person signing is the officer of the company or manager/member of the LLC. The person’s title must be printed after the signature, (i.e. John Doe, Vice President).

Proof of insurance in the name of the business must be presented at the time of registration.

Verification that the company has filed Articles of Organization with the Secretary of the State (SOS) office showing the manager/member's home and business address. Verification (printout) from the SOS website or a receipted copy of the Articles of Organization are acceptable. Verification may also be in the form of a copy of Income Tax filing (IRS Form 1099). The company name on the registration must be the same as filed with the SOS or appears on the IRS 1099 Form.

A driver’s license or non-driver identification card, issued by any state, of the manager/member of the LLC as listed with the SOS or IRS 1099, which must be the person signing the Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B).  If an out of state address is listed the applicant will be required to show the appropriate out of state license.

Leased Vehicles:
The name on the registration must match the name on the leasing license. Identification of the lessee is not required. However a general Power of Attorney form or the DMV’s Special Power of Attorney form (form A-83) from the leasing company to the lessee is required.

Note: Individuals or companies using a Dealer Titling Service must submit a Power of Attorney and Identification.