DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Flashing Light Permits

Certain emergency or maintenance vehicles may be allowed to display lights other than those provided as standard on motor vehicles. These flashing lights are for the purpose of alerting other motorists of an emergency or maintenance situation. The display of these flashing lights on such emergency or maintenance vehicles requires a written permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles as specified in CGS Section 14-96q.

What to do:
  • Complete Flashing Lights and Siren Permit:
  • Form E215 for Red or White Flashing Lights
  • Form E-215ME for Amber/Yellow Flashing Lights
  • Form E-215EV for Emergency Vehicles
  • Permits can only be processed by mail.

Please mail the form and fee to:


Department of Motor Vehicles

60 State Street

Wethersfield, CT 06161

Attn: Specialized Registry Unit  


Please call DMV with any questions at (860) 263-5700. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What Vehicles are exempt from Flashing Light permits?
  • Vehicles owned or leased by the federal, state or municipal government.  
  • Wreckers with wrecker plates
  • Escort vehicles with out-of-state registration and DOT permits
What is the fee for a Flashing Light permit?

A fee of $20 is charged at time of application for each permit, and the annual renewal fee for each permit is $20.00. Flashing Light permits are not prorated.

What are the different colors combinations of Flashing Light permits?

  • Amber
  • Red
  • Red and White Light Combination
  • Red (stationary use only)
  • White
  • White headlamp/Amber Light Combination

What types of Flashing Light permits are not issued by DMV?

  • Blue Light
  • Green Light
  • White Headlamp

Do fire chiefs and CEOs of ambulance companies have to report issuing a Blue or Green light permit to DMV?

No.  Public Act 15-5 removed this requirement.  However, the fire department or ambulance company must keep a list of permits (Form E-215B & Form E-215G) they issued on file.  

What is an Amber Light Blanket permit?

This is for a company with ten or more vehicles. To apply, the company must send a list, along with a check, to the address listed below. The list must include the year, make, VIN number and marker number for all vehicles requiring the permit. The fee is calculated by multiplying the number of vehicles by $20.  Please note that although the agency keeps the information on file, the actual permits do not show specific vehicle information.

Where are the Flashing Light permits processed?

Application are processed by mail in the Specialized Registry Services Unit at the DMV office in Wethersfield. Although we do accept "drop-offs," the application will not be processed while you wait.

When do Flashing Light Permits expire?

Flashing Light Permits can expire on 5 different dates throughout the year; January 31, March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31.  Most Flashing Light Permits have a fixed expiration dates. Below are expiration months:

  • CEO and Asst. to CEO Amb. CO              January 31
  • All Amber Light Permits                             June 30
  • Fire Chiefs, Deputy or Asst. Fire Chiefs     June 30
  • Fire Marshals, Fire Police                          June 30
  • Directors of Emergency Management        Sept 30    

How do I renew my Flashing Light Permit?

  • Permits expire annually
  • Invitations to renew are mailed to customers about two months prior to expiration.
  • Any changes to vehicle information should have a photocopy of new vehicle’s registration.
  • Any changes to the purpose must have a new application and new authorized signature.

How do I change the vehicle on a Flashing Light Permit?

  • Send a completed appropriate form for Flashing Light/Siren Permits (E-215) (E-215ME) (E-215EV), $20 fee, the old permit, and a photocopy of the registration for the new vehicle
  • An authorized signature is not required when changing vehicle information.

What if my permit is lost?

A replacement for a lost permit requires the completion of the appropriate Flashing Lights/Siren Permit form (E-215) (E-215ME) (E-215EV) and payment of $20.

Where can I obtain more information on the Connecticut Statues Pertaining to Flashing light permits?

Sec 14-80f - Mechanical Equipment (sirens)
Sec 14-96p - Special restrictions on lamps.  Flashing Lights. 
Sec 14-96q - Flashing or revolving lights.  Authorized use of blue or green lights.
Sec 14-283 - Rights of Emergency Vehicles.