Renewing a Non-Driver Photo ID
***EXTENSION OFFERED: DMV is offering extensions to Connecticut residents with expiring driver’s licenses, ID cards and learner’s permit’s. No late fees will be assessed for eligible credentials. See details here.
"REAL ID" IS HERE: Starting October 1, 2021, the U.S. Federal Government will require anyone boarding an airplane for domestic travel or entering certain federal buildings to have a "verified" driver's license or state-issued ID card, or be required to show additional proof of identification, such as a passport.  Check your license, you may already have the gold star!  See more information about the Real ID Program.  Air travel additional information can be found on the TSA website here


This service is provided by appointment only.  
If your ID card is expired two or more years, follow the procedure for obtaining a new ID card.


When renewing, please make an appointment at a DMV office, AAA location, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union or West Haven City Hall and bring with you the following:

  • The renewal notice (if available).
  • Your current non-driver ID card, which must be presented.  If the ID card has been lost you must present one additional form of identification from the list of acceptable forms of identification.
  • If you have had a name change since your ID card was issued you must present an original or certified copy of a: marriage license;  civil union certificate; divorce decree; or a probate court name change document to verify the name change. 
  • NOTE:  AAA locations, Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union and West Haven City  may charge a convenience fee up to $8.00 per DMV transaction.
The fee is waived for:

You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV service office.   It will arrive through the mail.  You may retain your expiring license or ID provided there are no changes other than address.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance.  After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.