Hazardous Materials Endorsement Applicants
***Hazmat Endorsement Holders: TSA is granting a temporary exemption from requirements in 49 CFR part 1572 regarding expiration of TSA security threat assessments (STAs) for Hazardous Material Endorsement holders. See details here.
The USA PATRIOT ACT requires all drivers who transport hazardous materials to undergo a security threat assessment. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has developed a program to implement this requirement.
All drivers applying for a new hazardous materials endorsement, or renewal, or transfer of an existing hazardous materials endorsement, must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident, or hold a valid Employment Authorization Document.
- Undergo the TSA threat assessment. The Hazmat Threat Assessment Program involves a fingerprint based criminal history records check, an immigration check and an intelligence-related check on any individual who wishes to apply for, renew, or transfer a Hazardous Materials Endorsement on their Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Have a valid TSA clearance result in our system.
- See the renewal process for a hazardous materials endorsement.
- Pass the hazardous materials knowledge test before the endorsement is issued.
- Complete the TSA on-line application. If you do not have Internet access, you may contact the Driver’s Helpdesk toll-free at (855) 347-8371 and they will assist you with completion of the on-line application.
- Self-certify type of commercial driving. Use this link to certify through DMV website.
What to bring to the Universal Enrollment Site (UES):
- Identification, see acceptable identification at https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/.
- $86.50 payment if you did not pay when completing the on-line application (payment can be made at the fingerprinting site with credit card, company check, money order or certified/cashier's check payable to IDEMIA. Enrollment centers accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards. Cash and personal checks are NOT accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a $30 fee to add the endorsement to your license.
A 90-day temporary endorsement can be issued at renewal if you pass the Hazmat knowledge test and present a receipt from IDEMIA indicating you have completed the application and fingerprinting process. The temporary is only available for renewal of a hazmat endorsement and does not apply to applicants obtaining the endorsement for the first time or when re-applying for a Hazmat endorsement.
Important Note: The DMV receives results electronically from TSA. The hazmat endorsement will not be issued unless DMV has received the electronic results from TSA regardless of whether the operator received an approval letter.