Conducted at DMV Inspection Lanes
Vehicle types that must have a VIN verified at a DMV Inspection Lane:
- Vehicles that have missing, altered, or otherwise undetectable VINs;
- Composite motor vehicles or trailers, including any homemade motor vehicles or trailers, dune buggies, and kit cars;
- Salvage vehicles;
- Grey market vehicles (vehicles that are imported from other countries, including Canada, and may not conform to the federal safety standards);
- Amphibious vehicles;
- Former military vehicles;
- Motorcycles with model years 1980 or older;
- Three-wheeled vehicles, except Harley Davidson, and Can Am (Spyder);
- Vehicles that are not listed on our approved list of manufacturers. (except utility trailers)
- ANY dirt bike or motorcycle that closely resembles a dirt bike regardless of whether the manufacturer is listed on the CT manufacturer's list MUST be brought to the Wethersfield DMV for a courtesy inspection.
- Bring your vehicle to a DMV Inspection Lane. See locations and hours.
- After VIN is verified, you will receive a verification form, which will be required to register your vehicle at DMV. If your verification form is lost 30 days or more after the date of verification, you must have your VIN verified again and pay the $10 fee. You can obtain a copy of the form at the station that verified the VIN.
- Proceed to a DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office to register your vehicle with your verification form.
- The vehicle you want to register.
- There is no fee for a VIN verification conducted at a DMV Inspection Lane.