DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Salvaged (Totaled) Vehicles 

DOWNLOAD: Salvage Inspection Information Sheet (form B-256) on how to get your vehicle inspected.


Insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a "total loss", but they are subject to regulation by the State of Connecticut Insurance Department.

If your insurance company has determined that your vehicle is a "total loss" or the word  "Salvage" has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate this vehicle upon any road in Connecticut. Technically, the registration on this vehicle has been cancelled. You should have removed the plates from your vehicle.

The DMV is aware of the status of the vehicle, since your insurance company has sent us a copy of the title stamped "Salvage".

The registration and plates on the salvaged vehicle can be transferred to another vehicle.

If you rebuild the salvaged vehicle, you must re-title the vehicle. The vehicle cannot, however, be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Salvage Inspection Locations

Salvaged vehicles will only be inspected in Wethersfield.  The Wethersfield Inspection Lane is open Monday thru Friday 

Salvage Inspections – 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

  • Customers must arrive by 11:00 a.m.
  • The Salvage Inspection Fee can be paid at the Inspection Lane if it was not paid in advance. Customers will be required to provide a phone number and credit card number at the time of inspection.

What it will cost:

  • $88 for a regular salvage inspection. This form must be purchased prior to the time of inspection from any DMV Branch office.

NOTE: A New York State salvage certificate (form MV907A) is not acceptable by the Connecticut DMV. MV907A is not a title document. In NY the insurance companies issue this form. The customer then needs to bring that form to the inspection facility in NY. Once it passes inspection in NY, NY will issue a new NY title.

Required Documents:

  • Receipts for major component parts used in the rebuilding. If a part was taken from a used vehicle, the receipt should specify the serial number (VIN) of that vehicle. The major component parts are: engines, cowls, transmissions, frames, doors, trunk lids, front and rear fenders and quarter panels.
  • A copy of the original insurance appraisal causing the vehicle title to be stamped SALVAGE must be presented at time of inspection.
  • A Completed Salvaged Vehicle Repair Report (form K-186)
  • Clear photographs of the repaired/replaced areas of the vehicle are to be presented when inspected attached to the Salvaged Vehicle Repair Report. The photographs must clearly:

    1. Show the entire vehicle by four photos, one from each vehicle corner i.e. left front, right front, left rear, right rear.

    2. Show the damaged area(s) prior to repairs.

    3. Show the repaired areas with the new parts/panels installed prior to any seam sealing, painting, or rust proofing.

    4. Show how the new parts were attached (welding).

    5. Show the area prior to painting and corrosion proofing (if the area is no longer visible).

  • If the vehicle is equipped with an air bag, complete a separate Air Bag Certification Statement (form B-303)

Anybody can bring the vehicle in for the Salvage Inspections. Any further questions, the customer can contact Agent Supervisor Mark Brown in CVSD at 860.263.5079


In a situation where a licensee’s vehicle has a questionable repair, the undercoating, sealer or parts may have to be removed at the request of the Inspector.

A private individual cannot drive or tow the salvaged vehicle to the DMV office. Vehicles may only be brought in on a flat-bed trailer or car carrier (i.e., no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground).

The vehicle can be driven/towed by a bona fide Dealer/Repairer employee with Dealer/Repair Plates only when the dealer is the owner of the vehicle. But if it fails inspection it must be transported away on a flatbed trailer.

Once the vehicle passes the salvage inspection, you can re-register the vehicle with the old plates or obtain new plates. You will be issued a new title (without the "Salvage" stamp on it) with the words "Rebuilt" printed on it. Once the salvage inspection is performed, the inspection slip does not expire.

The owner of a vehicle that has been declared "Salvage" cannot transfer ownership on an Application for Duplicate Title (form H6B). The owner must first obtain a duplicate title from the Title Section which will bear the legend "Salvage".  The owner may then assign the reverse side of the duplicate title to the purchaser.

If the title is branded "Salvage Parts Only" or "Salvage Unrebuildable" or "Salvage Unrepairable", the vehicle cannot be registered or re-titled under any circumstances.

Please see Salvage Inspection Information Sheet (form B-256) for additional information.