Vehicle Registration Renewals
An invitation to renew your vehicle registration will be automatically mailed to you 60 days before the expiration date. If you have signed up for an e-mail notification, you will not receive a notice by standard mail.
All transactions will be subject to compliance and fine check prior to renewal.
Avoid visiting a DMV office by renewing in one of the following ways:
- Online. Vehicle types that are able to renew online are Passenger, Trucks, SUV’s, Van, Motorcycle, Camp Trailers, and most Commercial vehicles. There are some vehicle types that cannot be renewed online due to additional paperwork needed. We accept VISA and MasterCard credit card, and debit cards with the VISA/MasterCard logo only. You may renew online up to 30 days after the expiration of your registration. You will be assessed a $10.00 late fee 5 days after expiration.
- By Phone. Make a payment by calling (860) 263-5700.
- By Mail. If you do not have a return envelope, you can mail your payment to the following address:
Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 150456
Hartford, CT 06115-0456
- You will be provided with a list of possible registration and vehicles eligible for renewal within the next 6 months.
- As an Organization, if the DMV does not have your Secretary of State number on file you must first contact the DMV to have this added to your organization customer record prior to conducting an online transaction.
How to resolve Compliance Issues
- You may check your compliance issues with our new online service.
- Property tax: Contact the (city/town) listed to settle your tax obligation.
- Parking Tickets: Contact the (city/town) listed to settle your parking ticket obligation.
- Emissions Due: The vehicle must be tested at an Official Connecticut Test Station prior to completing a registration renewal. Please refer to www.ctemissions.com for more information.
- Insurance Issues: Contact Insurance Compliance Unit at 860-263-5725
- Commercial Vehicle Safety (CVSD) Violation: Contact CVSD at 860-263-5446
- Registration Suspension: Contact Driver Services at 860-263-5720