Renewing a Driver's License
***EXTENSION OFFERED: DMV is offering extensions to Connecticut residents with expiring driver’s licenses, ID cards and learner’s permit’s. No late fees will be assessed for eligible credentials. Learn more.
Credentials that expire between March 10, 2020 and June 30, 2020 are automatically extended by 180-days.
Credentials that expire between July 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020 are automatically extended by 90-days.
"REAL ID" IS HERE: Starting October 1, 2021, the U.S. Federal Government will require anyone boarding an airplane for domestic travel or entering certain federal buildings to have a "verified" driver's license or state-issued ID card, or be required to show additional proof of identification, such as a passport. Check your license, you may already have the gold star! See more information about the Real ID Program. Air travel additional information can be found on the TSA website here.
- Bring your current license (which must be presented).
- The renewal application form that you received in the mail (if available).
- Additional documents if applying for a Real ID verified license. If you already have a "verified" license, you do not need to re-apply.
- The fee for your renewal is indicated on your renewal notice. See acceptable forms of payment.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) holders can find renewal information here.
- Individuals 65 years of age or older have the option of renewing their operator license for two years.
- A $25 late fee will be charged for the renewal of an expired driver's license.
- If you do not have your current license, you must present one form of acceptable identification from list of acceptable forms of identification. If DMV does not have your image on file, you will be required to present two forms of identification from the acceptable forms of identification list.
- AAA locations, Milford or North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union offices, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall cannot renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or licenses with a public passenger endorsement.
RECEIVING YOUR LICENSE: You will not receive a permanent driver license at the counter. It will arrive through the mail. You may retain your expiring license provided there are no changes other than address. Learn more here. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.
If you visit a AAA location, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) or West Haven City Hall to renew your driver's license or ID card, acceptable forms of payment are: cash, money orders, personal checks and bank checks. MasterCard, Visa, Discover and most debit cards with MasterCard/Visa logo. Please make all checks payable to DMV. These offices may charge a convenience fee up to $8.00 per DMV transaction.
If your driver's license has been expired two or more years, you will be required to complete all testing requirements again. Please see Obtaining a License for the First Time for detailed information regarding testing.
If your license is suspended here or in any other state, your license will not be renewed until your license privilege is restored. See how to resolve a license suspension.
If you are out of state/country or are incarcerated and need to renew your license, please see Requirements to Obtain a License Through the Mail for more information.
Public Passenger Endorsement Renewals
For "S,V,A,F" Holders
- You must have a current, legible, unexpired medical certificate (dated within a year) completed by a Certified Medical Examiner on file with the DMV prior to renewal. Please fax your current card to: (860) 263-5568 or email your current card to: DMV.CDL@CT.GOV
- Printed confirmation notice of self-certification with DMV. Applicants must self-certify through the DMV website and print confirmation notice.
- Renewal application form that you received in the mail (if available).
For "S" Holders
- "S" endorsement operators must successfully pass all sections of the skills test in order to obtain the proper classification/endorsements on your license. You must wait two to five business days after you have passed your skills test to obtain endorsement on your license as skills test results from the field must be entered into the system prior to issuance.
- Skills test must be dated within one year at renewal.
For "V" Holders
- Copy of training certificate (R-360) must be presented (dated within a year)