Renewing a Driver's License
DON’T WAIT: Renew a week or more before your birthday. You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV office, AAA location, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) or West Haven City Hall. It will arrive through the mail. You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card. For more on this, please see Central Issuance. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.
You may renew your license on or as early as six months prior to your license expiration date. AAA locations, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall do not process CDLs or public passenger endorsements.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) holders can find renewal information here.
- Public Passenger Endorsement holders can find more information here.
- Drive Only License holders can find more information here.
If your license is suspended here or in any other state, your license will not be renewed until your license privilege is restored.
What to do:
- Learn about the Real ID Program prior to your renewal.
- Decide whether you want a "verified" or a "regular" license renewal. See FAQs about the Real ID Program.
- If you are a non-U.S. citizen, please see additional information.
- Proceed to the nearest DMV office, participating AAA location, Milford or North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union offices, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) or West Haven City Hall.
- NOTE: Individuals 65 years of age or older have the option of renewing their driver's license for two years.
What to bring:
- Your current license.
- Your renewal application form that you received in the mail.
- For customers choosing a "verified" renewal: Your required documents for a "verified" license through Real ID Program.
- If you already have a gold star "verified" license there is no need to bring additional proof to the office.
What it will cost:
- $72 renewal fee for a driver's license without CDL or Public Passenger Endorsement status.
- CDLs are renewed for a four-year period at a fee of $70, or with a Public passenger endorsement or restriction, the fee is $118.
- AAA locations, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall charge a convenience fee up to $8.00 per DMV transaction.
- NOTE: Late fee of $25 will be charged for the renewal of an expired driver's license.
- See acceptable forms of payment.
- Military Personnel - see information regarding fee waiver.
For more information, please see detailed information on renewing a driver's license.
Public Passenger Endorsement Renewals
For "S,V,A,F" Holders
- You must have a current, legible, unexpired medical certificate (dated within a year) completed by a Certified Medical Examiner on file with the DMV prior to renewal. Please fax your current card to: (860) 263-5568 or email your current card to: DMV.CDL@CT.GOV
- Printed confirmation notice of self-certification with DMV. Applicants must self-certify through the DMV website and print confirmation notice.
- Renewal application form that you received in the mail (if available).
For "S" Holders
- "S" endorsement operators must successfully pass all sections of the skills test in order to obtain the proper classification/endorsements on your license. You must wait two to five business days after you have passed your skills test to obtain endorsement on your license as skills test results from the field must be entered into the system prior to issuance.
- Skills test must be dated within one year at renewal.
For "V" Holders
- Copy of training certificate (R-360) must be presented (dated within a year)