Obtaining a Manufacturer's License
To obtain a Manufacturer's License under Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-67a for a manufacturer or distributor of motor vehicles who sells products in Connecticut there are several documents which must be submitted.
Listed below are the documents necessary to obtain a license:
- A copy of the last annual financial report or the current balance sheet.
- A certified copy of the current warranty given to the purchaser or certified statement as to what the warranties are. This must include a description of what is covered under the factory warranty and the time period of coverage. This is required for each make of vehicle.
- A copy of the franchise agreement or distributor agreement and standard provisions for each Connecticut franchised dealer. Additionally, a copy of this must be filed whenever a franchise is established by a manufacturer.
- A list of current Connecticut franchised dealerships to include the make and model they are franchised to distribute.
- A list of franchied distrubutors in Connecticut. (If not applicable, explain)
- Certified copy of delivery and preparation obligations required of dealers and distributors: This should be a copy of any requirements or procedures required by the manufacturer of the licensee and shall identify what items or services in which the franchisee is reimbursed by the manufacturer.
- An affidavit that shall state the hourly labor rates paid to each franchisee for labor under preparation and warranty obligations. This may be a copy of the affidavit required under Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 42-133s to be provided to each dealer by the manufacturer.
- Schedule of dealer personnel training: This should be a schedule of the training required for sales and technicians as required by the manufacturer to meet franchise obligations. (If not applicable, explain.)
Certification of conformance with state and federal statutes which consists of: (Form K-9a and Form K-9b)
- DOT Numbers: Letter stating they are complying with federal statutes, confirming assignment of a world manufacturer identifier code. To obtain DOT numbers, contact National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) at 1-800-424-9393.]
- EPA Numbers: Stating they are complying with federal statutes, confirming compliance with the Federal Clean Air Act. To obtain EPA numbers, contact United States Environmental Protection Agency at 1-202-564-9660.
- A Motor Vehicle Manufacturers' License Application (Form K-7) must be completed.
- Certificate form, must be signed by licensed engineer and notarized. (Form K-9b)
- Requirements for certification, signed by company principal. (Form K-9a)
- Business license personnel list - please include a valid e-mail address (Form K-26)
- A Replacement Parts Statement (Form K-197) must be completed stating that a supply of replacement parts for vehicles sold in this state will be available to meet anticipated demand.
- A current product brochure of every model offered for sale in Connecticut.
- ** Trade name papers, if applicable.
- A check in the amount of $2,300 made payable to: "DMV" (License Fee) (This is based on a two-year license and is not prorated).
- A copy of the Certificate of Existence from the Secretary of State's office from the state in which you are registered as a Corporation or LLC.
- A Certificate of Business Status (From K-198) must be completed. Any companies or businesses located out of state must provide a statutory agent located in Connecticut.
The following individual(s) may be an Agent for Service:
- Person who is resident of Connecticut.
- Domestic (Connecticut) corporation.
- Any foreign (not Connecticut) corporation who has a certificate of authority to transact business in Connecticut.
- Secretary of State (foreign corporation only).
- Connecticut Corporation System (an independent statutory agent service) at 1-800-475-1212
Additional Documents Required
- A copy of at least one of driver's license.
- A Manufacturer Termination of Franchise Notification (Form K-196) must be completed.
To obtain information, please contact us by mail or e-mail to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Dealers & Repairers Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Note: All motor vehicle Manufacturers Licenses expire biennially on June 30th. A renewal notice will be sent at least 45 days prior to expiration. Also, manufacturer plates are available for Connecticut based manufacturers only.