Change of Address
(Moving within Connecticut)


Connecticut law requires all Connecticut residents with a vehicle registration, driver's license, or non-driver identification card to notify the DMV within 48 hours of any change of address.  

You may also register to vote and change your organ/tissue donor status through the change-of-address process.


What to do:

  • Print out and complete a Change of Address form
  • Sign the form (Will not be accepted unless signed).
  • Return the completed form to:
DMV Change of Address Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-1015
  • On registration(s), cross out the old address and write the new address in the space provided. 
  • Obtain an address label from any Police Department or by calling DMV's Customer Contact Center
  • Place the new address label to the back of your license or non-driver ID.

Property Tax Bills - Important

Property tax bills for registered vehicles are sent from your local tax assessor and are due in January and July.

If you change your address there is a chance that you may not receive your property tax bill in a timely manner, even if you file a forwarding order with the post office. Ex: If you change your address after or on October 1st (of any year), your tax bill will be from your past (address) tax assessor. Changes made prior to October 1 (of any year) will be from your current tax assessor.

You are liable for the payment of property tax, even if you do not receive a tax bill. Failure to pay the tax bill on time may result in denial of future registrations.

Be sure to check with the Tax Collector in your previous town and new town if you do not receive a bill. This situation may apply whether the move is within the same town, elsewhere in Connecticut, or out-of-state.

If you move out-of-state you must return the Connecticut marker plates to Connecticut DMV for cancellation to ensure that your vehicle will no longer be assessed for property tax in Connecticut.