Joint Enforcement Commission on Employee Misclassification (JEC)

Misclassification occurs when an employer incorrectly defines a worker as an "independent contractor" rather than an employee. Although misclassification can happen inadvertently, it is more often used to circumvent the law.

Public Act 10-12 

An Act Implementing the Recommendations of the Joint Enforcement Commission on Employee Misclassification.

Worker/Employee Misclassification Faqs 

Worker/Employee Misclassification Frequently Asked Questions.

JEC Worker Misclassification Complaint Form 

Online. JEC Worker Misclassification Complaint Form.

Contact Us

Where to direct misclassification inquiries:

Connecticut has a Joint Enforcement Commission on Employee Misclassification – a collaboration of the Connecticut Department of Labor, Department of Revenue Services, Attorney General, Chief State’s Attorney and the Workers’ Compensation Commission. Any of these Departments can be contacted regarding this issue and their websites should also be viewed for any information. It is important to note that each agency’s jurisdiction should be consulted. Commission members include:

Connecticut Department of Labor 

Wage and Workplace Standards Division
(860) 263-6790

Office of the Attorney General 

The Attorney General is the chief civil legal officer of the State.
(860) 808-5318

Department of Revenue Services 

The mission of the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services is to provide a fair and efficient tax system that enhances Connecticut’s economic growth.
(860) 297-5962

Office of the Chief State’s Attorney 

The Office of the Chief State's Attorney is responsible for the statewide administrative functions of the Division of Criminal Justice.
(860) 258-5800

Workers’ Compensation Commission 

The Workers' Compensation Commission (WCC) administers the workers' compensation laws of the State of Connecticut with the ultimate goal of ensuring that workers injured on the job receive prompt payment of wage loss benefits and appropriate medical treatment.
1 (800) 223-9675