Office of the Unemployed Workers' Advocate

Group of workers in office

About Us

The Office of the Unemployed Workers’ Advocate is a new unit that will support individuals in areas like understanding the documents provided by CTDOL, reducing barriers to receiving benefits, and navigating the appeals process.

Beyond assistance on individual cases, this unit will collect and track case management data, analyze subsequent trends, support the Department in improving client communications, and recommend potential policy enhancements.

Submit a case to the Unemployed Workers' Advocate 

When to Contact:

The Unemployed Workers' Advocate

We can assist you if you:

  • Have received a determination or a questionnaire and don’t fully understand it,
  • Were found ineligible for benefits and need the hearing process explained to you,
  • Have an upcoming hearing or appeal and need help preparing for it, or
  • Need assistance connecting to workforce programs. 

How to Get Legal Help

Office of the Unemployed Workers’ Advocate staff are not lawyers and cannot represent you at a hearing. Independent hearing representatives registered with the Connecticut Board of Review may be able to provide representation at Appeals Division hearings at reduced cost or at a cost which is significantly less than what many attorneys would charge for such representation.

For a list of independent hearing representatives please visit, and complete the request form. If you cannot afford to pay an attorney or a registered representative, you may be able to get free representation from a pro bono attorney or your local Legal Aid Society or legal services program.  A list of legal services organizations is also available in The Claimant's Guide to the Appeals Process.   

Filing for Unemployment

Office of the Unemployed Workers’ Advocate staff cannot process your application for unemployment benefits or make an eligibility determination.

To file for unemployment, please visit ReEmployCT

Protect Yourself From Fraud

Many people don't realize that are a victim of ID theft until they start getting the bills; in some cases, that notification may be from the Connecticut Department of Labor in the form of a monetary determination letter or a 1099 tax form. We can help.

Contact Information and Location

200 Folly Brook Blvd.  Wethersfield, CT 06109