Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verifications
Vehicle identification number (VIN) verifications are required to register some motor vehicles. Most VIN verification services can be done at official inspection stations which are run by a 3rd party contractor. Click here for a list of inspection stations. The fee for VIN Verification services at these locations is $10. VIN verification test center.
If your vehicle falls into one of the following categories, you will need to bring it to the DMV Inspection Lane located at 60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06109:
- If your vehicle has a missing, altered, or otherwise undetectable VIN, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘VIN Verification’ in the subject line, and include your phone number. Please do not come to DMV until we contact you with next steps.
- Composite motor vehicles or trailers, including any homemade motor vehicles or trailers, dune buggies, and kit cars.
- Salvage vehicles.
- Grey market vehicles (vehicles that are imported from other countries, including Canada, and may not conform to the federal safety standards).
- Amphibious vehicles.
- Former military vehicles.
- Motorcycles with model years 1980 or older.
- Three-wheeled vehicles, except Harley Davidson, and Can Am (Spyder).
- Vehicles that are not listed on our approved list of manufacturers (except utility trailers).
- ANY dirt bike or motorcycle that closely resembles a dirt bike regardless of whether the manufacturer is listed on the CT manufacturers list MUST be brought to the Wethersfield DMV for a courtesy inspection.
If your vehicle needs to have a VIN Verification done at DMV, be prepared for a full vehicle safety inspection. Before any VIN verification is performed, all vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, etc., must be fully operational and in compliance with all Connecticut laws and regulations.
All vehicles, trailers and motorcycles arriving on top of or within trailers, or in the back of trucks must be off-loaded by you and equipped to be able to test the brakes, lights, horn, and all other legally required equipment.
Please note: VIN verifications won’t be performed on vehicles that are not legal for the road or that are presented in such manner to prevent DMV personnel from conducting a safety inspection.