Which service bus vehicles require a DMV inspection?
The two service bus categories that require an inspection are:
- Bus vehicles new to service by a registered owner (first-time inspection)
- Any service bus that also serves as a Student Transportation Vehicle (STV) both for initial and annual inspections.
How do I get my service bus inspected by DMV?
We collect payment for inspection (credit card only) when you arrive at the DMV inspection lane.
Please bring a certified (R-380 form) showing a complete inspection of the brake system within the past 3 months or 3,000 miles whichever comes first, unless the vehicle is brand-new or has less than 3,000 miles.
Get your inspection at the DMV inspection lanes. Vehicles must be presented for inspection by 3 pm
Required Emergency Equipment:
UL-rated, minimum 10 BC fire extinguisher (fully charged) with a visible gauge that is securely mounted and easily accessible to the driver
first aid kit, securely mounted, but removable, and easily accessible
Three reflective triangles in a bag or box that is securely mounted inside the vehicle per DMV regulations
What do I do for fleets of buses?
For fleets of 10 or more service bus vehicles, you can call to schedule an appointment for inspection of multiple vehicles in one place at one time. Please call (860) 263-5447.
What will it cost?
- $40 (credit card only)
- If the service bus is also a Student Transportation Vehicle (STV), the inspection fee is $20. No B-312 or inspection fee is required for vehicles owned by the state or municipality.
Registration renewal inspections
Service bus vehicles not used as a student transportation vehicle (STV) must be inspected within six months of renewal by a Connecticut licensed dealer or repairer.
Most Connecticut licensed dealers or repairers participate in the program and have been provided with inspection procedures and inspection report forms. For more information, visit the Licensed Dealer Repairer Inspection Report forms.
- Connecticut licensed dealers and repairers may charge a fee of $40 for the inspection of a service bus with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds and below.
- A fee of $80 may be charged for a service bus with a GVWR in excess of 26,000 pounds. Repair charges will add to the cost.
Note: Licensed dealers or repairers may inspect only service bus vehicles for renewal purposes and may not inspect any service bus that is also an STV.