DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

In-Transit Registrations

The In-Transit Registration is a special-use registration. It is used only for vehicles which are purchased in the state of Connecticut by an out-of-state resident [$IF ROLE IN '364'$]CT residents need to request a regular temporary. [$ELSE IF ROLE$][$END IF ROLE$]and will be driven to another state for registration. In-Transit registrations can be used whether the applicant purchased the vehicle from a dealer or an individual.

An In-Transit Registration will not be accepted for vehicle inspection at any Connecticut DMV and cannot be renewed or transferred. The expiration date will be no more than 30 calendar days from the issue date.

An In-Transit Registration can be obtained at any DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office. The following is the required documentation needed in order to obtain an In-Transit Registration:

  • Properly assigned Certificate of Origin or Title, Bill of Sale (form H-31), or Supplemental Assignment of Ownership and/or Bill of Sale (form Q-1), if applicable.  The purchaser's out of state address is required on the ownership assignment. A Federal Odometer statement is also required if the vehicle was purchased from a licensed dealer or repairer.  
  • A current Insurance Identification Card, which can be obtained from your insurance company. The insurance card must be in the name of the registered owner (purchaser) of vehicle. If vehicle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee. An out of state insurance card or declaration page will be accepted as long as it meets or exceeds CT minimum liability insurance limits and lists the vehicle being registered. States which do not meet CT minimum limits are: Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Louisiana, Massachusetts. For these states the declaration page of the insurance policy would be required to verify insurance coverage amounts. Connecticut's minimum mandatory insurance limits are $25,000 personal injury per person, $50,000 personal injury per accident, and $25,000 property damage.
  • Complete an Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B).  The out of state address is required.
  • Out of State Driver's License (address must agree with address on application).
  • Fee of $21. 

Once the In-Transit Registration has been issued, all supporting documents will be returned to the customer for registration in their home state.[$IF ROLE IN '364'$]Customer can also obtain an in-transit registration for any type of vehicles including trailers, homemade trailers, etc.[$ELSE IF ROLE$][$END IF ROLE$]