Commercial Driver's License/Commercial Learner Permit Driving Type Self-Certification
Federal law requires all Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders and Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) holders to provide self-certification of driving type.
Once you go to the website above and successfully self-certify, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. Bring the e-mail confirmation to DMV anytime you:
- Apply for a new CDL
- Renew a current CDL
- Apply for an upgrade to a higher class CDL
- Apply for a new endorsement
- Transfer a CDL from another state
- Change driving type
CERTIFY HERE: https://www.dmvselfservice.ct.gov/CDLSelfCertiForm.aspx
- Category 1 – (NI) - Non-excepted Interstate: Operates a commercial motor vehicle outside of Connecticut.
- Category 2 – (NA) - Non-excepted Intrastate: Operates a commercial motor vehicle only within Connecticut.
Note: If any CMV you drive crosses the CT state line (into NY, MASS, RI - including for purchasing of fuel or picking up occasional loads) at any time, you are INTERSTATE.
- Category 3 – (EI) -Excepted Interstate: Operates a commercial motor vehicle outside of Connecticut, only for excepted purposes listed below.
Excepted Interstate Purposes:
- 49 CFR §390.3(f): School bus operations, state and federal transportation, occasional transportation of personal property not for compensation, transportation of human corpses or sick/injured persons, fire trucks and rescue vehicles, commercial vehicles designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver), transportation of propane winter heating fuel when responding to an emergency situation requiring immediate response.
- 49 CFR §391.2: Farm custom operations, apiarian industries (beekeepers seasonally transporting bees), certain farm vehicle drivers.
- 49 CFR §391.68: Private motor carrier of passengers (nonbusiness).
- 49 CFR §398.3: Driver of migrant workers.
- Category 4 – (EA) - Excepted Intrastate: Operates a commercial motor vehicle only within Connecticut (intrastate commerce) only for an excepted purpose listed below.
Excepted Intrastate Purpose:
- A self-propelled implement of husbandry or an implement of husbandry being drawn by a farm tractor or another implement of husbandry; public utility, telephone, and cable television company service vehicles that do not meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle in 46 CFR part 383; or public utility service vehicle used in cases of emergency.