Commercial Driver's License/Commercial Learner Permit Driving Type Self-Certification
Federal law requires all Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders and Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) holders to provide self-certification of driving type.
Once you go to the website below and successfully self-certify, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. Bring the e-mail confirmation to DMV anytime you:
- Apply for a new CDL
- Renew a current CDL
- Apply for an upgrade to a higher class CDL
- Apply for a new endorsement
- Transfer a CDL from another state
- Change driving type
CERTIFY HERE: https://www.dmvselfservice.ct.gov/CDLSelfCertiForm.aspx
- Category 1 – (NI) - Non-excepted Interstate: Operation of a commercial motor vehicle both in and outside the boundaries of Connecticut. This category is for drivers 21 years of age or older that do not have or require a "K" or "W" restriction on their Commercial Driver's License..
- Category 2 – (NA) - Non-excepted Intrastate: Operation of a commercial motor vehicle only within the boundaries of Connecticut. This category is for drivers meeting any of the following conditions:
o Under 21 years of age or
o Maintaining or requiring a medical waiver "W" restriction on their Commercial Driver's License, or
o Choosing to add or maintain an intrastate-only "K" restriction on their Commercial Driver's License.