How To Obtain a License or Non-Driver Identification Card Through the Mail

 ***EXTENSION OFFERED:  DMV is offering extensions to Connecticut residents with expiring driver’s licenses, ID cards and learner’s permit’s. No late fees will be assessed for eligible credentials. Learn more.

Credentials that expire between March 10, 2020 and June 30, 2020 are automatically extended by 180-days.

Credentials that expire between July 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020 are automatically extended by 90-days.
SERVICE UPDATE:  DMV is asking customers to mail in any duplicate or renewal applications for a license or non-driver ID card along with a check or money order.   By mailing it in we will be able to process it much faster. Due to staffing issues if you have already emailed your application please to not send it in again. All applications will be processed in the order they are received.  DMV is still not working fully staffed and we appreciate your patience and understanding at this time.
"REAL ID" IS HERE:  Starting October 1, 2021, the U.S. Federal Government will require anyone boarding an airplane for domestic travel or entering certain federal buildings to have a "verified" driver's license or state-issued ID card, or be required to show additional proof of identification, such as a passport.  Check your license, you may already have the gold star!  See more information about the Real ID Program.  Air travel additional information can be found on the TSA website here.  


Overview  - Important Information


Your driver's license or non-driver identification card may only be mailed to an out-of-state or country address, unless you are incarcerated or medically unable to appear in-person.  You will be allowed one renewal through the mail before a new photo is required.


Your new driver's license or ID will only be mailed to the mailing address you provide DMV. If you have mail forwarding you will NOT receive your driver's license or ID.


Commercial driver's license and Public Service license holders cannot renew their licenses through the mail. If you are unable to appear in person and are requesting a renewal, a voluntary downgrade (Form P-147) must be completed.  


Note: If you are in Connecticut, you must appear in person at a DMV office or Partner office to renew your license or non-driver identification card. 




If you are an active member of the armed forces of the United States of America and your home of record is Connecticut, you may request a duplicate or renew your valid Connecticut Driver’s License or Non-Driver Identification Card by mail; must fill out section E of the application.  Please fill out Form B-350 (including Section E of the form).  Please see complete instructions below. 



Medically Unable to Appear


Individuals with a major medical condition may request a duplicate or renewal of their driver’s license or non-driver identification card by mail by filling out Form B-350 and Form CI-1.  If downgrading from Driver’s license to identification card a Form P-147 is required.  Please see complete instructions below. 



Temporarily Out of State or Country


If an individual is not able to come into a DMV office to renew or to obtain a replacement of a valid Connecticut Driver's License or non-driver ID Card due to their present location and the license must be mailed to out of state/country address.  Please see complete instructions below.





If an incarcerated person holds a valid Connecticut Driver's License/non-driver identification card that is about to expire, the license/identification card by may be renewed by mail.  The inmate number must be provided and the license/identification card can only be sent to the facility where the applicant is incarcerated.  Please see complete instructions below. 



Drive Only License


Drive Only License applicants must apply at a DMV branch office for duplicates and renewals.  These services cannot be completed by mail. 


OUT OF STATE RESIDENCY: If you have established residency in another state, you must obtain a license in your state of residency and may not renew your Connecticut Driver's License. 


How to Apply


You can send us your request through mail, e-mail or fax (email or fax will reduce wait time).


By Mail

To renew or request a duplicate of your valid driver license/non-driver identification card through the mail you must:

  • Complete a Request for a Connecticut Driver’s License/Identification Card by Mail (Form B-350). Note:  If request is because you are medically unable to appear, you must complete a Request to Renew or Obtain a Duplicate Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID Card by Mail Due to a Temporary Medication Condition (Form CI-1).
  • Provide a check or money order made payable to “DMV” for the appropriate fee or you may pay the fee by credit card over the phone (please see instructions below).  All checks must be drawn on a United States Bank and made payable in United States funds.
NOTE: All driver's license renewals and payments processed by mail must be received prior to the expiration date or a $25 late fee applies.  Please send your renewal at least 10 days prior to expiration, especially if mailing from out of country. If you are mailing application and are paying by credit card, please wait 5 business days until calling with credit card information.
  • Mail form and payment to: 
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06109
Attention:  Central Issuance Operations Unit



E-mail or Fax

To send your request for a renewal or duplicate license/identification card by e-mail or fax:

  • You must fill out Connecticut Driver’s License/Identification Card by Mail (Form B-350) and (Form CI-1 -if applicable) 
  • E-mail completed form(s) to or fax to 860-263-5591.
  • After one business day contact the Mail-in License Transaction Unit at (860) 263-5401 (Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.) to make a credit card payment (MASTERCARD, VISA OR DISCOVER ONLY).