Military Personnel
Fee Waiver Information
DON’T WAIT: Renew a week or more before your birthday. You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV or AAA office.   It will arrive through the mail.  You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.
To qualify for a driver's license renewal fee waiver during an in-person visit to DMV officeAAA locationMilford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) or West Haven City Hall, military personnel must present the following documents:
If the individual is an active service member:
If the individual is honorably separated from active service:
  • PLEASE NOTE:  This is a one-time fee waiver for any person honorably separated from service who applies within two years following the date of separation and was a legal resident of Connecticut at the time of his or her induction.
  • An Application for Waiver of Driver’s License Fee Form (Form B-88)
  • An original copy of your DD-214.  Military discharge/separation papers must be dated within two years and individual must have been honorably discharged.