DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Parking Placards for Disabled Individuals

The Department of Motor Vehicles issues parking permits (placards) for individuals who have a qualifying disability.  There are two types of permits – temporary and permanent.  A permit requires certification from a medical professional. 

Permits for a temporary disability have a $5 application fee and are valid for up to six months.  A permit for a permanent disability has no application cost. 

Permits for a permanent disability are valid for the same term as a driver’s license or identification card and must be renewed. DMV will send to the permit holder a renewal notice approximately 45 days prior to expiration. 
Motorcycle riders can apply for a license plate with the International Symbol of Access.  These plates are issued only to a motorcycle registered in the name of a person with a disability. 

Apply for a Permit

To apply for a parking permit:
  • If applying in-person, an appointment is required.  Make an appointment here. (Select "Licenses and Non-Driver ID Cards" tab)
  • Complete Part A of the application form - Permanent permit form | Temporary permit form. Forms can also be obtained at any DMV office or by contacting the DMV Contact Center.
  • Temporary permits have a $5 application fee and the application cannot be faxed or emailed to DMV.
  • Have Part B completed by a licensed physician, physician's assistant, psychiatrist (under contract or employed by the USVA), Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), ophthalmologist, optometrist, or a member of the Connecticut Board of Services and Education for the Blind.
  • NOTE: In lieu of certification, DMV will accept a VA disability certificate for blindness, amputation of legs or arms, or loss of use of legs or arms, traumatic brain injury, paraplegic and hemiplegic disabilities.
  • Disabilities or blindness can be certified for minors, however, please bear in mind that the minor must meet the same criteria for disability or blindness.
Applicants can also mail, fax or e-mail completed documents to the DMV.  See details below:
Department of Motor Vehicles 
Disabled Parking Permit Unit 
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06161
Fax:  860- 263-5556

Replace a Permit

If your permit is lost, stolen or damaged you may apply for a replacement.  You must have a valid Connecticut driver’s license or identification card to complete the application.
What to do:
  • Complete the application Permanent permit form.  If your permit has an expiration date, you only need to complete Part A of the form.  There is no fee to replace a permit for a permanent disability.  Temporary permits have a $5 replacement fee.
  • Submit application to DMV:
Department of Motor Vehicles 
Disabled Parking Permit Unit 
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06161
Fax:  860- 263-5556 (for permanent permit applications only)

Qualifying Disabilities

Any person who has one of the following disabilities or conditions that affect mobility, that are temporary or permanent in nature, may apply for a permit:  use of portable oxygen; legal blindness; limited use, or no use, of one or both legs; inability to walk 200 feet without stopping; a neuro-muscular dysfunction that severely limits mobility; a Class III or IV cardiac condition (American Heart Association standards); severe limitation in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition; or restriction because of lung disease to such an extent that forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one filter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg of room air at rest. 


Motorcycle Riders

Any disabled person who is eligible for a permanent parking permit and has a motor vehicle registered as a motorcycle in the disabled person's name may apply for a special registration plate that bears the International Symbol of Access.
You may apply for a disability plate by completing vehicle registration application (form H-13B) and by providing proof of disability on a Permanent permit form (form B-225P). 
The completed forms may be mailed to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customized Plates & Copy Records
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Note: If you already have a valid permanent parking permit, no further medical documentation to provide proof of disability will be required. You will, however, be required to complete section A of the Permanent permit form.


Proper Use of Permit

Parking Spaces
On-street parking spaces reserved for people with disabilities are designated by local law or ordinance.
Off-street parking spaces for people with disabilities are required by law at any private facility with 201 or more parking spaces.  If you have a question about parking for people with disabilities on a particular street, contact the authorities responsible for maintaining that road.
Proper Use of License Plates or Valid Permits
Any vehicle with a license plate or valid permit displaying the International Symbol of Access may use parking spaces designated for use by a person with a disability. The person to whom the license plate or permit was issued must be traveling in the vehicle in order to use these spaces. Plates and permits do not allow you to disobey state or local parking regulations.
Misuse of Parking Permits or Plates
If you misuse plates or a parking permit or allow another to misuse them, the Department of Motor Vehicles may revoke the plates/permit or deny renewal. The most common misuse is when someone other than the person with a disability uses the plates or permit to park in a space reserved for people with disabilities. These parking permits or plates are valid only when the person with a disability who received the permit is driving the vehicle or is a passenger in it.
Traveling Out-of-State

Connecticut plates and permits for people with disabilities are available only to Connecticut residents. However, Connecticut honors out-of-state plates and permits for people with disabilities, and most other states also honor Connecticut permits and plates.  If you are traveling to another state, check with the local law enforcement agency of the other state to be sure.
Physicians Information
For more information on completing the application for a parking permit please visit this webpage.