Search Department of Motor Vehicles Filtered Topic Search

 Special Operator's Permit

("Work Permit/Education Permit")

If your driver's license is under suspension you may apply for a Special Operator’s Permit that will allow you to drive to and from work or attend classes or examinations at accredited institutions of higher education.

If approved, the permit must be carried with you when driving and all restrictions must be followed. You may not operate a commercial or public service motor vehicle with a Special Operator's Permit.

To apply for a Special Operator's Permit:

Work Permit

Education Permit

  • Complete an Application for Special Permit for Higher Education (form P-225).
  • Obtain and submit a certified copy of your class and examination schedule clearly identifying the days, hours and geographic locations of your classes.
  • See instructions for all applications below.
All applications – additional instructions:
  • All applications can be mailed.  You may also scan completed applications and email to
  • DMV will verify your application and review your driving record as part of the application process.  Applicants must meet qualifications list below.
  • Out-of-State Drivers:  If you are licensed in another state, you  must provide a recent certified copy of your driving record from that jurisdiction.  DMV does not accept driving records from private vendors.
  • A non-refundable $100 application fee must accompany each permit request. 
You can make your payment online.
Payment can also be made by a check or money order payable to "DMV", and mailed with your application to:
Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06161-2525

Normal processing time is 10 business days from the date the Driver Services Division receives your correspondence.

To qualify for a special operator’s permit, you must:

  • Not be currently suspended for failure to appear/pay a citation.
  • Not be currently suspended for Operating While Under Suspension.
  • Not have a prior alcohol related offense.
  • Not have three or more prior moving violations as specified in Connecticut General Statute     14-111g(a) on your driving history.
  • Not have two or more prior moving violations  on your driving history if you are currently suspended for Reckless Driving or Evading Responsibility.
  • Not have a violation of Vehicular Manslaughter or Vehicular Assault.  
When driving with a Special Operator's Permit, please remember the following:
  • Special Operator's Permits are subject to strict standards for approval and use.
  • You can not operate a motor vehicle unless the Special Operator's Permit is in your possession.
  • Misuse of a permit, conviction of a traffic citation, or a new license suspension while operating under a permit may result in revocation of the permit and other penalties.
  • Driving Outside Connecticut:   If you intend to operate outside of Connecticut, you must check with law enforcement in that state to determine if a Connecticut permit is honored.
For more information, please call DMV's Driver Services Division at (860) 263-5720.