Hamden, CT 06517
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday: 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Thursday: 9:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Check the holiday schedule before visiting a DMV Office.You can check the status of a driver's license and vehicle registration.
Customers visiting the office can obtain:
- All Vehicle and Boat Registration Services
- All Driver's License Services - This includes out-of-state license transfers.
- Testing - Knowledge, Road and Vision.
- Learner's Permits - (Learner's Permit testing by appointment only through DMV's online service.) This service is not offered for Motorcycle Endorsement or CDL Knowledge Testing. Study for the knowledge test:
- Inspections - See Inspections Performed at DMV for hours of operation.
- Name changes on DMV documents
- Duplicates of DMV documents
- Non-Driver ID Cards
- Disabled Parking Permits
Walk-in knowledge testing offered only for the following services:
- CDL Testing
- Motorcycle Endorsement
Walk-in knowledge testing hours:
New CDL Applicants (General knowledge test plus endorsements)
- Tue., Wed., Fri. – 7:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday – 9:15 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday – 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Current CDL Drivers and Motorcycle Test (Endorsement test only)
- Tue., Wed., Fri. – 7:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday – 9:15 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Dealers and Titling Service Companies may process transactions Tuesday through Friday up to 1:00 p.m.
Acceptable forms of payment are: cash, money orders, personal checks, bank checks, American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Discover and most debit cards. Please make all checks payable to DMV.
Traveling I-91 North: Take exit 5. At the traffic light proceed straight on State Street. DMV is approximately 3 miles on the right.
Traveling I-91 South: Take exit 10. Take first exit off the ramp (exit 1). Take a right off the exit to the traffic light. At the traffic light, take a right onto State Street. DMV is approximately 3 miles on the left.
Traveling Route 15 North: Take exit 62 and a left onto Dixwell Avenue. Go three tenths of a mile to Route 5 (State Street). Take a right onto State Street. DMV is approximately 3 miles on the left.
Traveling Route 15 South: Take exit 63 (Bishop Street). Turn left at end of the ramp. Take a left at first traffic light (Bishop Street Route 22). Take a right at second light (State Street/Route 5). DMV is 5 miles on the left.