Driving Instructor License Checklist
All laws related to commercial driving instructor licensing can be found in the Connecticut General Statutes (Title 14-68 through 14-78) and in the Regulations of State Agencies (Section 14-78-1 through -14-78-48). To request an application packet to apply for a driving instructor license, please contact the DMV's Driver Education Unit.
DMV forms required to be completed:
- Training Instructor’s License Application (form R-7A).
- Examination to Determine Physical Condition of Driver (MCSA 5876) completed by a licensed physician.
- Driver School Instructor Training Schedule (form R-280). Note: The Driver Education Unit must receive the R-280 form before you start the course for it to be valid.
- Certificate for Driving Instructor Training (form R-230) showing that you have completed an approved forty-five hour instructor training course.
- A fingerprint-supported background check is required for this application (for a school all owner(s), managers, officers, etc. must provide a background check). The following forms must be completed by all individuals applying: Download the forms here
When the forms are received by the agency an email will be sent to the email provided on your application with instructions on how to apply for a criminal background check. Failure to complete these forms will cause a delay in the processing of your application.
- Copy of high school diploma or equivalent.
- State Fingerprint Forms (DPS-125C) for each owner, officer or manager of proposed school. Fingerprinting is performed at: Any local/state police department or the State Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection headquarters.
- Authorization for Release of Information for DPS CPS search DCF-3031 for each owner, officer and manager of the proposed school.