Driving Instructor License Checklist
All laws related to commercial driving instructor licensing can be found in the Connecticut General Statutes (Title 14-68 through 14-78) and in the Regulations of State Agencies (Section 14-78-1 through -14-78-48). To request an application packet to apply for a driving instructor license, please contact the DMV's Driver Education Unit.
DMV forms required to be completed:
- Training Instructor’s License Application (form R-7A).
- Examination to Determine Physical Condition of Driver (MCSA 5876) completed by a licensed physician.
- Driver School Instructor Training Schedule (form R-280). Note: The Driver Education Unit must receive the R-280 form before you start the course for it to be valid.
- Certificate for Driving Instructor Training (form R-230) showing that you have completed an approved forty-five hour instructor training course.
- Copy of high school diploma or equivalent.
- A completed Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection application (Green Fingerprint card) competed with a $75 check and a separate $13.25 both made payable to State of CT Treasurer.
- Authorization for Release of Information for DCF CPS Search (Provided)