For the health and safety of our employees and customers, we will be closing our Bridgeport office on Friday, October 30th and Saturday, October 31st to perform a deep cleaning as well as contact tracing. All appointments at this location have been cancelled for Friday, October 30th and Saturday, October 31st. Customers have been advised to reschedule their appointment. Safety is our top concern and we appreciate the public’s patience as we monitor the situation.

How to file a Complaint Against
a Dealer or Repairer

See Special Notice Here About Buying Flood-Damaged Vehicles.

The Department of Motor Vehicles' Consumer Complaint Center investigates Connecticut-Licensed Dealers or Repair Shops for the following issues:

Not sure if a business is licensed with the state?  You can check here.

The following issues are not investigated by DMV, but may be pursued in small claims court by the customer:
  • Improper or shoddy repairs. 
  • Misdiagnosis by the mechanic. (Connecticut does not license individual mechanics)
  • Vehicle vandalism occuring at the repair shop.
  • Damage caused by improper towing.
  • Disputes related to advertising.
However, if the customer is awarded a judgment by the court, DMV may be able to assist the customer in obtaining restitution by holding a hearing to invoke the licensee's surety bond.
To file a complaint against a dealer or repair shop:
  • Complete the Consumer Complaint Form (K-35 form) online and print.
  • Print two copies of form -- be sure to sign both.  
  • Send one copy to the DMV Consumer Complaint Center (to address below) and the other copy to the dealer or repairer that the complaint is concerning.
  • NOTE: It is essential that you include copies of all paperwork related to your complaint (e.g., warranty, invoice, repair bill, etc.). Please do not send the originals.
  • Include telephone numbers where you can be reached weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.  Your e-mail address would allow us to respond more quickly as well.
NOTE:  If your complaint is resolved after submittal of your paperwork, please send a short letter (signed and dated) to the address listed below stating that the problem has been resolved. Please submit all correspondence to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Consumer Complaint Center
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
If you believe someone is operating an unlicensed dealer, repairer or recycler business, you should report all information in writing to the CT DMV's Dealer Enforcement Unit.