The State Building Code (SBC) applies to most buildings and some other structures, being newly constructed new, being altered or added to, or undergoing a change of use.
In conjunction with the Codes and Standards Committee, the Office of the State Building Inspector (OSBI) establishes the building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and energy code requirements of the SBC, necessary to promote the health and safety of the people of Connecticut.
- Provides building code interpretations
- Approves building code modifications;
- Responds to code questions from design and construction professionals, and members of the public.
- Issues permits and performs inspections for some state construction projects, including threshold construction and some non-threshold construction.
- Provides information regarding the State Building Code
The Code Adoption Process
The code adoption is an open and rigorous process, and is performed in conjunction with the Codes & Standards Committee and many other stakeholders. The latest information is available on our Code Adoption page.