Can I receive unemployment if I attend a school, college, or university?

Read time: 6 minutes

Unemployment benefits and school enrollment

As a regularly enrolled student, and if otherwise eligible you may be eligible for benefits if:

  • You begin attending a school or college and you are available for and seeking full-time work that does not conflict with classes; and
  • You were a full-time student at any time during the two years before you became unemployed and were also a full-time employee for that same period; or
  • You are in training that has been approved by the Labor Commissioner. If you are not in approved training, you must be willing to change classes or drop out of school if a job conflicts with your courses.

However, you won’t be eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit your job in order to attend school as a regularly enrolled full-time student for so long as you are in attendance.

Benefits Eligibility Filing a claim Claimants School Student Unemployment eligibility